Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Minnie's first hours with us

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by KarenCurtis, May 25, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I promise I'll have pics TOMMOROW!! The ride home she was great, laying on top of her car crate with me petting her. She smelled the adaptil and was very calm. She did poop in the car on a towel on my lap that the breeder gave me- thank goodness! I'm glad I brought a pee pad also!We got home and she explored the house, not a peep out of her, and no eating, which I understand- hoping she eats eventually! We went outside, me holding her on the grass. She was afraid, did not explore much. Right now she's in her pen in the living room with the door open, she's got her pillow and a stuffed lamb. We also have her food in there, she really hasn't eaten. She is hanging out in there, and I think that's what she wants now, secure confinement. I have towels and a throw in there, and a pee pad. I want to start house training but if she uses the pee pad for now that's okay, she feels safe where she is. Sandstorm already told her he doesn't want her following him- it didn't really faze her at all! She's used to older dogs. This must be a bit traumatic for her.

Sandy in CT, ghggp, Hanne and 3 others like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Gavin cried the entire car ride home with me! She is doing great :) An ex-pen in corner of the yard might make it less scary for her to go potty....

ghggp, KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes! I have one! I was thinking the same thing! Minnie is used to her pen at the breeders, this is where she spent a lot of her time with her litter mates, so I want to mimic that as much as I can for now- the door is open and she's aware of it!

ghggp, Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  4. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Sandstorm and her will be best friends soon

Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie are! I hand fed her and she ate out of her bowl too, and drank! Good!

Sandy in CT, ghggp and mimiretz like this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Tully was timid for weeks after I got her (I think Deska was an anomoly). It was even sadder that all she wanted was to cuddle up to Deska, and all he did was bully her. That said, I've got many photos of her in Deska's bed with him because he gave in! Even a jealous older brother can't resist the charm of a little puppy girl.

ghggp, Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    It's funny because Minnie's pen door is open, and she comes halfway out of it when Sandstorm is near, then goes back in! She tried to lick him on the nose earlier, he didn't like that at all and let her know.

Sandy in CT and Caro like this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin was enamored of my cat. I have some cute pictures of him trying to play with her (play bows) and she is ignoring him
    :( But eventually she would initiate play with him.

Calliesmom, ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    In a week you won't believe the difference in how outgoing she'll become. Give her time to adjust to her new surroundings and get to know Sandstorm. Let him sniff her while she's in her pen so he gets used to her being there. Eating and playing will come before you know it. Remember she's been with her littermates and her mom all her life until now, and for a bit longer than most puppies. It will take her a bit more time to adjust but she will.

10. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Yes, thanks! She is slowly becoming more outgoing, we are just letting her lead. This a.m. we went outside on the grass, she walked a few steps on leash! She doesn't seem skittish with noises either!