Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Minnie's last agility class for now....it was freezing!! Windy!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Nov 16, 2019.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Minnie is too fast for me! It was our last class, it was kind of tough because it was so cold and windy, so not the greatest conditions. I was having trouble with keeping my eye on Minnie, being in the right position, and also having an eye on where we were going next. I can partly blame the weather, but this agility thing is hard!!! I lose Minnie and she is so fast! In the middle of the course I can forget where I'm supposed to go because I'm worried about where she is. I know, it's supposed to be fun, and it is, I don't want to take myself too seriously doing this because I want to continue having fun with her, and she is having fun. This class is going to continue, so I'll pick it up again maybe in February or the beginning of March. Thoughts? Feedback welcome!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Have you thought about trying some Rally classes with Minnie? Agility is fun but yes, fast and Rally is not as fast and still fun. It combines obedience and agility, with more time to do the course and less pressure, I think. I’ve done the class with all my puppies and they’ve all enjoyed it. So have I. Just a thought!

3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    That's an idea, but I really do want to get better at agility. The other people in the class are great, and they make just as many mistakes as I do. The pressure I feel is of my own making, not the instructors, she really is very good and keeps it lighthearted. It's frustrating because Minnie and I can complete a great course, then on our next turn, whoops! I have to remember that our main goal is to have fun.

4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Rally, since it is obedience related, may help Minnie with agility as well. Different commands and all but it's all team work.

We had a lady with a border collie in our agility class the last 2 sessions. She moved on to another training center as ours now isn't enough for her dog. That dog was FAST! The trainer spent so much time with her training her in where to be because once the dogs get fast like Minnie already is, you simply can't keep up so it's all about positioning and making sure the dog is listening to commands wherever you might be.

Agility makes me feel like I have 3 left feet because it is so fast. Right now, for us, our Rally is the team work stuff and we are taking agility slow. Brodie likes it, likes the speed, but he gets so hyped up! The trainer won't let him run the whole course most days. She works on 2 or 3 things in the course with us and switches stuff up all the time. She makes us try to take things slower and make sure he is obeying me and completing things properly. Says he is already way faster than me, so is working on making sure I know how to obey the competition rules and he knows how to obey me. When we do run the entire course, she has me sit Brodie at the end of the dog walk, the A-frame, the teeter with 2 paws on the ground and bum on the equipment. Slows him down, makes sure he is listening, makes sure he is learning to make the proper contact points because once they get fast they can start to cheat and you'll lose points, gives me a chance to re-position myself. Maybe work on slowing Minnie down until you get more comfortable with the positioning, there certainly is a LOT to learn!

Ann, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  5. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks, good tips. We aren't going for any points at all, the class is all just for fun. There is no competitive emphasis at all in this class, that's why I don't feel intimidated. The pressure is of my making.

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I love that your doing agility with Minnie, such a great activity for you guys to do together. perhaps you should take some obedience classes in the off season before your next agility class. I've never taken agility but it would make sense that it would help Minnie pay attention to you more and perhaps slow down just a little.

KarenCurtis and Sandy in CT like this.
  7. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I plan on her taking obedience also, maybe to eventually get her CGC. Minnie pays attention to me WHEN I am in the right position, lol. I have to be ready when she shoots out of a tunnel like a rocket!!!!

Hanne, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    our instructor requires some basic obedience before starting agility- especially sits, downs, stays and recalls. I did both classes at the same time with Destin- never again. he had no recall and in agility once the leash came off, he was very hard to recapture........ We had to work that a lot so that he wouldn't be totally out of control in class or on the course.
    if you have any expectations of actually competing in agility, do not slow Minnie down. Once you do that, it is incredibly difficult to get the speed back.
    Honestly, every dog is too fast for the handler- they just are. what you learn are how/where to take shortcuts to get and keep you ahead...

Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Thanks for this! Yes, the instructor is trying to teach those shortcuts, where she wants me to be when Minnie shoots out of that tunnel. Minnie was in puppy class all summer, so she had sit, stay, and her recall now is very good. This agility thing is hard! Not for Minnie, for me, but I'm going to continue because it's fun. All the pressure comes from myself, expecting too much.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    you should run some of the courses without the dog- just for you to practice how to get places and other moves that you need to do to tell your dog the correct direction to go. when you are comfortable doing that, then add the dog........

Sharon7 and KarenCurtis like this.