Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Minnie's walk today, interesting behavior

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by KarenCurtis, Jun 12, 2019 at 5:48 PM.

1. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I took Minnie and Sandstorm on a walk in a very small downtown area, think very small town- park next to a High School, town buildings, residential. She didn't like the traffic, unfortunately there were more than usual noisy trucks. So we went to the park, tennis courts, bike paths, woods. She liked that, and Sandstorm is non-reactive in these types of fairly busy areas, so I could take both of them, and I kept them at their critical distance from bikes. On our way back to the car, Minnie wanted to watch the cars go by, so we did. She started whining- she wanted to go back to the noisier downtown area that she was frightened of when we first started out! I was surprised, and we didn't, but I took it as a good sign. Next time we will start out in the park where it's quieter, which we should have done today. Thoughts?

Sharon7, Ann, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Great plan! The first time I took Layla walking in downtown Leesburg, she wanted to chase a motorcycle. :depressed:

3. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    :lol::lol::lol:

Calliesmom likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sometimes I regret not taking out Liam earlier to get him desensitized to sights and sounds at a younger age.
    I believe it does make a difference in their overall development. I was so concerned over him not having all his shots.

5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    My vet vetoed going anywhere before Willow had most of her shots so we were faced with the same thing. You weigh the risk of them catching something or put them in the position of not getting in as much socialization. I would love Willow to be blase about meeting new people or dogs but she is convinced they all love her and she's ecstatic to meet anyone. I'm sure she'll slowly wind down as she matures and meets new people every day. I guess somewhere between Liam and Willow would be the best place to be with a pup but I'm sure both Liam and Willow will manage.

Sharon7, KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Current dog behavior studies and many vets now agree that early socialization is more important than having all vaccinations, and socialization/puppy classes can begin when pups are ten weeks old. Minnie's vet did not tell us to wait until she had all her shots. Not being judgmental, I'm not- just stating latest research.

Hanne, Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    The important think is to keep them off the ground and away from other dogs. Strollers are a grand way to get them out and about!

Caro, Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.
  8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Exactly! You want to have them every where you possibly can to expose them to sights, noises, smells, people, etc. but until vaccinations are complete, no paws on the ground in a public place. I carry a blanket in my truck, when Brodie was younger he was in the top area of the shopping cart, harnessed in, but so that he could see everything. I carried treats and if someone asked if they could pet him, I asked them to give him a treat first. We did Cabela's Lowe's, Home Depot, even Petco on slower days but always in the cart. He nows prefers to ride in the larger section of the cart, but still is as comfy as can be just being strolled around places. I had no issues walking in our neighborhood, we live sort of off the beaten path and only a few dogs get walked here and they are friends that I know for sure vet their dogs.

9. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    You can certainly find arguments on both sides of the "when to socialize" debate. According to the AKC website

"It is important to understand that it is not until 7-10 days after the last vaccination at 14-16 weeks of age that the risk of infection is very low and you can increase the puppy's introduction and socialization with all dogs."

Don't get me wrong, I think you have to do as much socialization as possible, as much as you're comfortable with. I was incredibly fortunate that Willow's breeder gave her a fabulous head start with all the socializing she did before we picked her out and took her home with us. Willow and her littermates got tons of handling, cuddling and playing long before we were in the picture. During our home confinement stage, my son's friends would come over a lot to play games.

Willow got a lot of people exposure with us and it seems the dog contact she had at the breeder must have helped too. If I had seen any signs of shyness or fear I would have taken her out more. For whatever reason, puppy classes were/are hard to come by around here, filling quickly or too far to drive and we just never managed to get in. The prices have gone through the roof as well. The local Pet Smart class, when in session, sounds like a fox hunt in progress with baying, barking and growling and not a class I'd risk Willow in.

I guess all any of us want is for our fur kids to be healthy and happy in mind and body.

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    since we do dog sports, my two youngest were exposed to all that pretty early. I didn't bring Destin home until he was 3 months old so we didn't worry about shots with him. He was at an agility trial the day after I brought him home. Jocu went to a handling class from the time I brought him home. He was only on the table the first couple weeks (not on the ground at all) but was around the other people/dogs in the class.

KarenCurtis likes this.