Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Missing my Shadow

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by Pam, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    I realized when posting on another thread just how much my heart was aching for my Shadow. Here are a few pictures of my baby, gone way too soon. Cancer abruptly ended his life when he was just shy of 11. The last few months were terrifying as he went through chemo and then started to wither away, in pain, not eating but still always trying to act like himself. When my son came home to visit, Shadow, barely able to get up, skidded to the door wagging, and when my son bounced the basketball Shadow made himself attempt to jump. It was heartbreaking and wonderful all at the same time. My Shadow did not go gently into the night but wagged and tried to be happy until the very last moment when he could no longer hoist himself up, and could not eat at all. He was a gentle soul. He will always be loved, always be my fur baby, and always have been my sons' best friend. Here are some photos from baby, to juvenile, to adult, to his last photo shortly before the cancer ravaged him.
    Aurora Shadow of the Black Forest 12/2004-11/2015. <3
    https://imgur.com/a/DNFaL

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Sweet Baby.....cancer is devastating :( I know I feel like I am on borrowed time after Gavin's Treatment. It's been 2 years since his radiation ended and I cherish every day now. I feel my heart clinch any time it looks like he has a slight weakness in his leg that had the cancer.

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Pam, What lovely pictures... nothing prepares you for the loss even though you know it is coming...
    My heart goes out to you and your son. You can just feel the bond of the two of them in that picture.
    Makes me tear up just thinking about it. There is just something about a boy and his dog.

My Laddie died recently and had bone cancer. Mr. Chance, love of my life, past 2 years ago and I am still not over his loss.
    I had no children of my own but a friend brought his son over and he just fell in love with Mr. Chance. The feeling was mutual.
    You just have to love these dogs with their capacity to love through all the pain and suffering they are going through.
    Hoping you find peace and beautiful memories of your beloved Shadow.

2017-11-20_16-13-09.jpg

Pam likes this.
  4. Roberta

Roberta Premium Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Chicago area
    My heart aches for you. What a handsome boy - gone way too soon.

5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    I feel your pain. We lost Cody to kidney disease 4 years ago, and we still miss him so very much.

Pam likes this.
  6. Gypsy0211

Gypsy0211 Forums Regular

Nov 28, 2013
    New England
    I'm so sorry to read about Shadow. Cancer took my Gypsy at the end of November, and I still cry saying her name. She was such a big part of my life, she was my first dog and we essentially grew up together. We never have enough time.

7. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Cherish every memory -- even the bittersweet.

Pam likes this.