Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Missy's last day was Monday

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by shelee, Feb 10, 2021.

1. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    I asked for advice over the years for my rescue Missy that had arthritis in her elbows. She was also very noise phobic, not just to fireworks or thunder, but sometimes a bird chirping. We know she was in pain often even with all the pain meds given daily for the last 2-3 yrs, but she started having panic attacks out of the blue a yr or so ago. She also starting pacing constantly with panting. We tried prozac and it seemed to work for a short time, but it came back. What was so hard was she would have a good day (for her) and we we were so hopeful only to have panic attacks 3 days in a row before they subsided a bit. Xanax was the only thing that seemed to help, but only at a high enough dose she slept. What was the point of having her sleep all the time? However, Monday when I knew she was leaving me at 2 pm she was fine, having a good day. She HATED car rides, but the 30 min drive to her vet she was calm and laid on the floor, but looked at me the whole drive. I wonder if I did the right thing. I am not sure. I do thank everyone here for the advice for the years.

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am so sorry that you lost your battle with dear Missy. Please know that in the end, you did all you could for her. Please do not second guess yourself. We have all been there. We understand... RIP dear Missy. You have earned your angel wings... :hugs

3. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you for the kind words. I am second guessing myself. I have to replace the look on her face Monday on the way to the vet with the evening struggles of her pacing and trying to find a comfort position that sometimes took her 20 minutes only to get up in a half hour and try again.

4. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Forums Enthusiast

May 2, 2014
    Me too. I am sorry. You made the best decision you could have made in the situation. Trust that. It was certainly selfless if sue was constantly in pain band never at peace. It wouldn’t be something you took lightly.

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Decision time is NEVER easy. But best not to wait till they crash or are in agony. I'm sorry Missy has gone to the Bridge, try not to dwell on that last afternoon - I know it's hard not to second-guess yourself afterwards. She is running free now. :hugs

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and shelee like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm so sorry to hear about Missy. I know what it's like to second guess yourself, but try to remember that you did everything possible and she wasn't comfortable or happy. I've been told that it's better to let them go a day too soon than a day too late, and I've tried to follow that through the years. It's much harder on us that way, but kindest to them. Wishing you peace. :hugs

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  7. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017

Thank you. I see many of you have lost many Shelties. This is my 4th dog, my second Sheltie and I have found losing Missy so much more painful than all the others, although they were all difficult. I admire you for continuing to give Shelties a loving home. I am not so sure I can go through this again although I know it will be a lonely life.

Ann, Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  8. trini

trini Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Your sweet Missy is at peace and you gave her that gift when it was time. No death is easy to cope with but some dogs claim a bigger piece of our hearts and their passing is SO devastating...it sounds like your Missy was that heart dog for you. I am so deeply sorry for your loss but I hope you know that you did everything for Missy to keep her comfortable for as long as possible and when she could no longer have quality of life you did what had to be done. There is no greater love than that.
    Trini

Ann, Sandy in CT, Hanne and 2 others like this.
  9. shelee

shelee Forums Enthusiast

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you for the kind words.

Sandy in CT, Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  10. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    I’m so sorry for your loss. Helping a loved pet out of pain is no easy decision and such a selfless act of love. Be good to your self.