Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Mixing freeze dried raw food with kibbles

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Sunflower77, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Sunflower77

Sunflower77 Forums Regular

Feb 6, 2019
    I’ve read that dogs digest raw food and kibbles differently so raw and kibbles shouldn’t be mixed. But some freeze dried raw food is designed to be food toppers and manufacturers are suggesting to add them to kibbles. Am I missing something? Is freeze dried raw food different than frozen raw food in terms of mixability? Thank you.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Freeze dried is just that...dried using extreme temperature. Frozen raw is still raw when defrosted.
    There are actually no studies that defend the position that you shouldn't feed raw and kibble together. I've done it many times with my dogs with no ill effect. Kibble actually digests faster than raw (makes sense as their bodies utilize most of the raw).

corbinam likes this.
  3. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    I feed prepackaged raw and kibble at one meal with no issues.

Agree with PipersMom that there is no evidence to support that rumor.

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Sunflower77

Feb 6, 2019
    Thank you all. I bought some Stella and Chewy Rabbit patties to try out.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Freeze-drying is a really, really old technique. Freeze-drying is a three-step process that begins with freezing. Next the food is placed in a vacuum chamber under low heat. The frozen water crystals evaporate directly from ice to water vapor in a process called sublimation.

I have been feeding Zulu a balanced freeze-dried food for the last two years. It is not cheap, but he has been doing great on it.

6. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    New York
    When I first transitioned my dog from kibble to Stella and Chewy's, she threw up when I fed them too close together. I had to separate the meals by a few hours. I still use kibble as treats and with that she hasn't had an issue if I give her a couple right before her freeze-dried raw meals.

7. Sunflower77

Feb 6, 2019
    I mixed S&C freeze dried raw rabbit meat with kibbles. My Sparkle didn’t have any issues. But I did. I had horrible vomiting and other bacteria infection symptoms. I’m not 100% sure it’s caused by the freeze dried raw meat as I didn’t have the raw meat tested. All I know is that I did not eat outside my home or try any new food at home. No one else in my home was sick and I happened to be the only person who handled the raw meat. Anyway, I started to wear gloves when handling the raw meat.