Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Monty is coughing/choking almost none stop

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Darren, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    I've had a very rough night and day with little Monty.
    About every 5mins he starts making a cough noise that then turns into him choking/reaching for around 1min. He then panics as it's as if he's finding it hard to breathe then he does one giant gag/cough and he seems to be ok. After a few minutes it starts all over again whether he is laying down or moving.
    I've called the vet who has said it "could be nothing so leave it at least 24hrs". I'm at about 18hrs and he is still doing it. I can't just walk into the vets now because it is locked down due to the virus. I don't suppose anyone has seen this before or no anything I can do to help until he 'qualifies' for a vet visit?
    Poor guy couldn't sleep at all last night or today because of it so he must be feeling exhausted as well.

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Did he get into anything that might irritate him?

I would see the vet if it continues for sure!!

Not sure if this is the case since he has not shown this problem since you have had him...
    FYI - just for information if any other symptoms that match may arise...

https://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/collapsing-trachea-dogs-everything-you-need-know

Medical Management for a Collapsing Trachea
    If your dog is having a hard time breathing, has blue-tinged gums or has fainted, he needs to be taken to a nearby veterinary clinic immediately. A veterinarian can provide supplemental oxygen and other treatments to ease his breathing. Once his condition is stable, diagnostic tests can be run to determine the cause of his symptoms.

Most dogs diagnosed with a collapsing trachea are treated with medications. Drug options include:

• Cough suppressants (e.g., butorphanol or hydrocodone) - every time a dog coughs his airways become more irritated and inflamed. Cough suppressants play a duel role by controlling an annoying symptom and helping to reduce irritation that promotes more coughing.
    • Anti-inflammatories (e.g., prednisone or fluticasone) - corticosteroids are often prescribed to reduce swelling and inflammation of the trachea. These medications can be given orally or by inhalation. Inhaled steroids have a lower incidence of side-effects.
    • Bronchodilators (e.g., theophylline, terbutaline, or albuterol) - these medications can widen small airways within the lungs, which eases the pressure put on the trachea.
    • Sedatives (e.g., butorphanol or acepromazine) - when dogs become anxious or excited their symptoms often get worse. Light sedation can help.
    • Antibiotics - dogs with tracheal collapse are at higher-than-average risk for respiratory infections. Veterinarians will often prescribe a course of antibiotics when an infection is diagnosed or suspected.
    • Anabolic steroids - research has shown that stanozolol, a derivative of testosterone, can help dogs with a collapsing trachea. It has some anti-inflammatory activity and may also help strengthen cartilage.

Piper's mom and Darren like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Poor Monty!
    Piper did have kennel cough a few years ago, when Monty does it, does it sound like a goose honking? It is a very distinctive sound so if he's been doing it you'd know it. When Piper had it I actually called my vet and they instructed me what to do, they REALLY don't want you bringing Kennel Cough in there unless the dog has a fever or difficulty breathing.
    Piper does on occasion cough though, I think it's because he's smaller and when he plays, or tries to get the water in the bathtub he chest bumps it and irritates his trachea. It's now very rare (as long as I stop him).
    I would speak to your vet if you do believe it may be kennel cough however, I gave Piper a mixture of lemon juice and honey (equal portions) in a syringe and just squeezed it in his mouth as well as Robitussen for dry cough (confirm with vet first) 2.5mls/10 pounds per day. Check ingredients in case they've changed since we used it.
    Keep us updated Darren, we worry about Monty!

Darren and ghggp like this.
  6. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Thanks for the links and info everyone, we've done nothing different so I don't think it's an allergy but maybe he's touched 'something' on one of his walks. It just seemed to start early last night and has gone on every 5mins-ish since then. He keeps trying to lay down and sleep but it starts again, he panics and runs to me for help, bless him.
    The vet mentioned the fainting/blue gums and said he'll see him urgently if I get any of those.....If not I've just got to phone tomorrow and let him know if he's still struggling to breathe :rage:

He gets immunized against kennel cough so I don't think it is that. It seems to start a little similar to the reverse sneezing but then after a few secs he really starts gagging loudly as if he is choking. Then after a little while gagging loudly he does one loud one as if he's being sick (but nothing comes out). He's then fine until it all begins again after a few minutes.
    Thanks Lisa, I think I'll give a tiny bit of honey a shot and see if it helps his throat any. I really feel sorry for his as he keeps running to me for help but there's nothing I can do apart from pet him. I can't see anything in his mouth so I'm sure there's nothing stuck there. ugh!

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gavin has a collapsing trachea....has for years. It is triggered by positional things (how he is laying down), pressure things (too much time in his wheelchair since the harness hits his upper chest), and a combination (my holding him up were he is sitting). It can take a while for it to stop/clear up when it is a pressure cause, positional doesn't seem to have a lasting effect.

8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Kennel Cough is a lot like the common cold...even though there is a vaccine there's more than one strain so he can still catch it. I also used a vaporizer with Piper (just like when your child has a bad cold and you want the added steam to make it easier for them). It does sound like Kennel Cough...could you do a video of his coughing?

Darren likes this.
  9. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Thanks Lisa, in a way that's good to know about the kennel cough as I'd much rather it be that than other things. A lot of it is similar to the reverse sneezing sounds just with a large gag on the end, but would that happen nearly none stop for 24hrs?

I'll try to catch a video when he does it in a few mins.

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    That sounds exactly how it was for Piper when he had Kennel Cough. I have heard that the vaccine can reduce the severity of the symptoms so if it is that hopefully he won't be too sick for too long. I wouldn't be taking him for any walks until he's better or you know it's not Kennel Cough as it is VERY contagious.