Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

More Surgery for Checkers

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Ann, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Checkers has recovered wonderfully well from her gallbladder surgery last month and is totally back to normal. That's the good news.

The bad news is that when the surgeon did her gallbladder surgery he found a small lump on her stomach that turned out to be a mast cell tumor. On Monday, Chex will go back in for surgery to remove and grade it. We won't know how bad it is until it's out and has been tested. Grade 1 is good news, 2 and 3 not so much. They need to get a clean one-inch margin with these tumors for optimal results.

If there's anything good about this, it's that if she hadn't had the gallbladder surgery, we never would have known about the tumor until it was probably too late, given how Sheltie fur hides these things, especially on the stomach. As it is, you can hardly see it even with her stomach shaved.

As you can imagine, I'm pretty much a basket case over this, and would appreciate any and all good thoughts and prayers for my precious Checkers on Monday. I'll keep you all posted.

2. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Oh my gosh I am sure you are beyone worried. My thouhts and prayers and positive vibes are with you for an easy surgey, fast recovery and good news.

Ann likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh my, poor Checkers!
    Poor Ann! I am so sorry to hear this news! Prayers, positive vibes and virtual hugs to you both!
    Please keep us posted on the results!

I would be a basket case too! How old is Checkers?

Ann likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Thanks, Gloria and Pam. She's only 11, and she's a young 11...acts like she's 5.

5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Oh no, nothing creates a pit in your stomach like having to wait for biopsy results. I am so sorry to hear this Ann, but absolutely will keep you and precious Checkers in my thoughts and send good energy your way on Monday. Hoping that since it was caught at a small stage it will be no big deal. :fl :hugs

Ann likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am sure she will pull through with your expert care and prompt medical attention! As you said, had it not been for the previous surgery you would never have been able to act so promptly! Give her a hug and kiss from me! Blessings coming your way!

Ann likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    My thoughts and prayers will be with you and Checkers Ann, fortunately it was caught early. Fingers crossed that the biopsy results will be good also!:fl

Ann likes this.
  8. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Oh no, how scary! Please keep us posted! When did they say the biopsy results would be in?

Ann likes this.
  9. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Ohio
    Sending good thoughts to you, Checkers, and the vets. So glad this was found and hoping for good news and clean margins!

Ann likes this.
  10. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Good thoughts of good news to you & Checkers.