Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Mouth/Tongue Sores

Discussion in 'General Health' started by Calliesmom, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    so I am on a work trip out of town and my shelties are staying with my friend.
    she emailed me last night that Cranberry didn't finish his dinner and seemed out of sorts- just laying around.
    she gave him a Cerenia to settle his tummy and they all went to bed.
    This morning, she said he didn't seem any better so they headed off to the ER. other dogs are there with similar symptoms. He's been examined and has ulcers on his tongue and the back of his throat- the ER vet is not sure why yet.
    He's being kept overnight on an IV but wondered if anyone knew what might cause this or have had prior experience with similar situation?

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I have no idea what might've caused this but I hope they find the cause of this quickly and that Cranberry feels better fast! You must be so stressed with this happening while your out of town!
    Sending positive healing prayers your way!

Ann, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Sorry this is happening with you out of town!! I have not heard of this - in people I would suspect a herpes virus - don't know if dogs get this as well - cold sores can be very painful. I would assume they swabbed the sores to culture them I hope they can figure it out quick and he's on the road to recovery. What a nightmare to be out of town when crap happens to your dog!! I always worry about this when I travel. At least your friend took care of it right away. That's the kind of friends to have for sure!!

Piper's mom, Ann, ghggp and 1 other person like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    me too
    yes- feeling a little stress......

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- I do have some really good friends. she had a scare with her youngest not long ago so she's very alert to non-ordinary behaviors.....
    I don't know if they swabbed or not but they are doing some bloodwork.....

Piper's mom, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Goodness! she is in the right place. I know I was on edge with Gavin being at the Emergency vet a day after I left for Sweden last summer, but I was fairly sure it was nothing serious just diarrhea. The unknown is so much scarier.

Piper's mom, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- a little concerned. he didn't have any diarrhea or vomiting- a little drooling but I guess with a swollen ulcerated tongue, that could be expected.................

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    How absolutely scary! What a great friend to respond so promptly!

When you said other dogs are showing symptoms did you mean at the vet? I just can’t imagine what it could be. Glad they are doing blood work!

Hopefully it will be resolved soon! What a mystery!

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I'm so sorry! It sounds as if they may have eaten something in season right not. Please let us all know when you find out. Hugs to Cranberry!

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes- other dogs at the ER waiting room.....
    she is a great friend and all our dogs have lots of fun together...

ghggp likes this.