Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Moving from House with Yard to tiny Apartment

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Meru, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Meru

Meru Forums Novice

Nov 12, 2019
    Hello New here!
    I remember reading the forums before getting my sheltie puppy. She is now 1 1/2 (19 lb female).

Right now she is in a house 1400 sq ft during the day then in a remodeled 650 sq ft basement at night (sleeping arrangements)

She likes to play and chase/bark at the other family dog. I usually take her on potty breaks and one run outside a day (runs free in our private yard with the other dog til shes pooped). Besides that she doesnt bark much or isnt super active. Just follows me or the other dog around.

I am going to be moving to a small 500-550 sq ft apartment though. Just me and her. No yard where she can run free but a front yard to potty and community to walk around in.

I am afraid she'll be depressed in it. I will be home with her all the time except grocery runs and doctors appointments. I can take her to visit the family house and dogs 2 times a week at least. I can take her on lots of walks.

Im just very concerned about her being lonely. She LOVES my parents German Shepherd. And she wont have much walking space, though I will do my best to keep the space open and not crowd with furniture.

Any advice?

ghggp likes this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Hello and welcome! Your girl is still young and it sounds to me like she will be just fine as long as she has you! Shelties are very adaptable and if she has lots of exercise, whether it's walks or play time inside, with some visits to your old house and her doggie friend, she'll do great. Just give her lots of one-on-one play time with you when you first move in (maybe with a few new toys) so she adapts to the new surroundings and living arrangements. Also, if your new yard isn't fenced, be sure to keep her on leash to be safe when she's outside. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Sandy in CT like this.
  3. Meru

Meru Forums Novice

Nov 12, 2019
    Thank you! The new yard area will be tiny and non fenced so I'll be leashing her to potty and for walk. She's used to the leash just afraid she'll miss running free every day. The community's big so I can walk her pretty far and maybe she'll enjoy seeing new scenery.
    I figure 3-5 times a week visiting at the family house for the first 2 months then down to 2 days a week. I'm only 20 mins away so it's not too far to drive.
    She'll get lots of new toys when we move that's for sure!

Any one have advice for barking? She's actually not much of a barker unless she's playing. But I worry with her high pitch she might annoy the upstairs neighbors if she barks for some reason. I was thinking of getting an anti barking device in case, but not sure if that would be a bad thing.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I do not think you should be afraid that she will get bored,
    the most important thing for her will be that you two are together
    and you can have some good long walks several times a day
    and explore the new surroundings.

I would certainly not find an anti barking device as a good solution
    - and not at all on such a sensational breed. :no:

Remember that a Sheltie is a very "talkative" dog
    -It does not bark just to bark - there will always be a reason
    so it may end up with a very nervous dog with a broken mind.

When Minnie was a puppy we lived in an apartment
    with a tiny front yard and it was just fine, it just required a few more walks
    - because she definitely would not use the garden, at all, as a toilet :wink2:

5. pomshe

pomshe Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2015
    Pittsburgh
    You should be just fine. I lived many years with an oversized sheltie and a cat in apartments. He only barked (and usually just once) when someone knocked on the door or if there was an unusually loud noise outside.

ghggp likes this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I most certainly agree with the other responses...
    As long as she has YOU, all will be well.

Has she been crate trained at all?
    Many times people use it as a time out or quiet time place.

As long as she is with you, visiting, walking, just hanging out... that is what a sheltie lives for.
    You may even bond stronger as the 1:1 time will increase.

Good luck and keep us updated.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I agree with Hanne that anti-barking devices are not good for Shelties, who are very sensitive. The result is that these types of devices usually work in reverse. Your pup will either become nervous and anxious or bark even more. It's more effective to teach her to bark on command, and then reward her for being quiet. Of course that doesn't work if she barks when you aren't home, but once she adjusts to her new surroundings she'll probably sleep when you're gone. I find it helps to leave a radio or TV playing when I leave the house. It muffles outside sounds and helps keep them quiet.

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Hanne like this.
  8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow has the run of the main floor but she always chooses whatever room I'm in. I don't think big or small living spaces matter a bit, your fur kid will be wherever you are. If you are interacting with her or providing some mental work during the day you'll both be happy. Willow lets me know when it's time to pay attention to her. :)

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Meru

Meru Forums Novice

Nov 12, 2019
    Thank you everyone for the replies! It's made me feel much better.
    She will have lots of me and her time haha!

No barking device for her! Thanks for the input. I will work more on commands.

I will make sure to walk her lots and slowly transition her to the new place. Thank you

10. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    The great thing about apartments is, although she will be away from her first friend, there's probably going to be so many new ones for her to make! People and dogs. We were in an apartment for the first six months with Honey and she had so many dogs she could play around with, and there was always a kid or two who wanted to throw a stick for her. You guys will do fine!

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Hanne like this.