Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Moving To An Apartment

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by take4roll10, Apr 27, 2011.

1. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    lol nope, but she does like to toss pillows and blankets off the bed.

2. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Randi, sounds like Bailey will get used to her routine in no time.

I think there's a chance that she'll get used to neighbor noises. We share one wall with our neighbors and I remember Bentley used to bark at all of them. We can hear them shutting drawers and doors sometimes. Now, he doesn't even bother to get up.

I think he used to think it was someone knocking at the door (EXCITING!) but now nobody reacts so he gave up.

3. PreciousSheltie

PreciousSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011
    So glad things are going well so far and Bailey is settling in fine! Too bad there arent any grass patches near by.. Cement makes the urine pool... Precious did that a few times when we werent home and out, she always got it on her feet so I make sure to find grass to soak it up! Downhill/slanted cements grounds are the worst, hard to tell in the dark hahaha Luckily we have a lot here, everywhere!

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    Randi glad your test moving run went well. Hopefully the move will be just as good.

Justice was raised in an apartment unti lhe was 3yrs old. I found obedience training made him more tired than any amount of running. I played with him in the apartment during early evening when I got home from work after our walk. It was the time when most people were moving around and busy. Did 2 things- one the neighbors were busy with their own things and did hear the boundy around the apartment and two it pairs the apartment noise with a good thing-playing.

I kept him in his kennel in the bedroom with the radio on and a blanket over the crate. It seemed to block out alot of the noise during the day. I walked Justice 2x a day for 45 mins and played with him and trained atleast 30-60 mins daily. I had obedience and agility class 2-3 times a week. He was a squirrelly puppy but he did quite well. Chew toys were a must in the evening-nylonbone and bully sticks were a favorite.

Lets us know how its going when you get settled.:smile2:

5. MisfitBrian

MisfitBrian Forums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2008
    Little Elm, Tx
    That sounds like Max. :rolleyes2: He gets in a mood & flips all the pillows he can find to the floor.

6. Eleore

Eleore Forums Regular

Jan 10, 2011
    Yay, good luck and congrats on moving! :D

This thread was also super useful for me, as I'm moving this summer (your winter) to an apartment with just my little runt.

By the way...
    This is Lucien now when I get home from work, and he has people around all day! He is all "PLAY WITH MEEEE :("

7. OntarioSheltie

OntarioSheltie Forums Celebrity

Apr 29, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    How are things going with Bailey?

8. take4roll10

take4roll10 Moderator

Aug 31, 2009
    We've been living there for a week now and I think Bailey is doing well. There are some things she's having issues with. Some I expected, some I did not. She had no issues adjusting to the new place. As long as I'm there she is content. She barks every time the neighbor enters and leaves her apartment. I don't really know how to train for this because I can't predict when the neighbor comes and goes.

Bailey also barks at noises from outside on the street. We have a big window that goes from the ceiling to the floor. She likes to look out at the street below. She is usually quiet, but if she sees or hears another dog, she goes nuts.

Something I didn't expect was that the building across the street is a big hang out for skateboarders. At night and on weekends, kids gather and skate down the stairs. This drives Bailey nuts. Especially when I need to walk her. Before I leave the building she'll already be in crazy dog mode.

The good news is she adjusted very well to her new schedule. No potty issues. Actually, she was holding it in for 12-13 hours. I did not like this at all and did not expect that. I think we figured out a nice spot where she likes to make and the past few days she has been going every 8 hours or less. She seems to be peeing 3x a day and pooping 2x a day. Is that normal?

It took her a few days to get used to my roommate. The first few days she would bark at her whenever she came and went, but only for a few seconds. My friend had to let Bailey sniff her and then she'd recognize her and she'd settle down. It took about 4 days and then Bailey realized she was the same person and started greeting her with excitement. Same thing happened with my roommate's BF. After the 4th time, Bailey jumped on his lap and gave him a kiss. I guess Bailey has to meet you 4 times in a short amount of days to recognize you.

She still is a little reactive when I walk her. She lunges at other dogs and some people and kids (I can't predict who). It's such a busy neighborhood that I think in time, she will adjust. I've been walking her with both her snoop loop and a harness and that seems to be helping. The treats also help too! :wink2:

We've only been there for a week and I think she is doing pretty well. I do have difficulty leaving her alone. I feel very guilty leaving her all day while I'm at work for 10 hours. I do have a dogwalker, who walks her for half an hour in the afternoon. I just feel so guilty. Between 9 hours of sleep at night and 10 hours while I'm at work, she is only active for about 4-6 hours a day. I feel like that is not enough time. :(

9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    That sounds like normal elimination -- matches Layla -- she might piddle more, but she's free to go whenever she wants. Bailey also sounds like she's making the adjustment well -- I'd go nuts with skateboarders, too! :lol:

10. DPSheltie

DPSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Feb 25, 2010
    Bristol, CT
    We have been at our apartment for 2 months and Riley still goes nuts everytime our neighbors come and go. Of course it doesn't help when one of them has a dog that whines everytime she passes our door cuz her and Riley like each other. This leaves us with a crazy barking mess of a sheltie everytime. There is also a teenager who's really nice, but always has friends over who thunder past our door....and bark/call Riley.....grrrrr. As if I do not yell at enough teens during school hours.....

We have been trying to catch him before he actually reacts to give treats for being calm and training commands durin these moments. It works IF we catch it before he can go crazy (hard). Also there are many people, especially on weekends, which means that all I do every evening is train....not good when you're a bit under the weather....

Last edited: May 26, 2011