Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Muzzle for First Aid Kit

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by SKNerissa, Apr 8, 2018.

1. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    One area of training I have so far neglected is teaching my boy to tolerate a muzzle incase he was ever hurt bad enough to warrant one. I like the soft mesh muzzles for fitting in a first aid kit but am worried that it might do more harm than good if an accident happened in hot weather or if his breathing was in anyway affected by an injury. So that has me looking at basket muzzles. Also, what happens if a dog is in need of emergency oxygen at the time? Does the O2 mask replace a muzzle or can they fit over one? My boy has a wonderful temperament and very good bite inhibition but as taught in pet first aid classes, any dog can bite in the right circumstances. I want to make sure the instict to protect himself never prevents my boy from getting timely veterinary care and that training is done to prevent an unfamiliar muzzle from adding to his stress. Suggestions?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I certainly applaud your proactive actions of getting your pup comfortable wearing a muzzle. This video shows how in a very humane way.

As far as the oxygen mask goes, I would contact your local fire department and ask for their recommendations as they are experienced and have encountered many different circumstances that dogs may have in emergency situations!

Good luck!