Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My aging Sir Baron Von Trapp

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by mbfrench, Jan 17, 2021.

1. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    It’s been a good minute since I posted here on forum. But so very long ago, I saw my Trapp for the first time at only 4 days old. He was part of Lavendel Shelties, a prior member kennel. As many watched in anticipation for Sasha to give birth, my Trapp was first puppy to present himself... but he was breach. That was in 2009. Fast forward 11 amazing years, as you may imagine Trapp is aging gracefully. He is slow moving, but still tries hard to catch frisbees, his eyesight is slowly going away. And now we are afraid of congestive heart failure. He will see our vet at 9;30 tomorrow. This dog not only has been by my side since 2009, but he is in every sense, my heart. He is the quintessential southern gentleman. If anyone has had experiences with CHF in their present or past Shelties, I sure would appreciate you reaching out. Tripp’s half brother Jasper...also 11, is doing well considering his age. Still a barky little thing, spins like crazy, but he is my SuPeR JaSpEr! I recognize some names here still, such great memories of awesome,cute,funny threads.
    I’ll update later tomorrow, on what vet says. If so inclined,can ya’ll whisper a prayer for my boy.
    Michele
    Trapp
    Jasper
    Django

KarenCurtis, RikyR, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Michelle! It's been AGES. Welcome back. I know my breeder's stud dog had CHF and she managed it well with medication. It is so difficult to watch our beloved dogs age. I have lost several since you were last here. Trapp sounds like he has been a wonderful companion and heart dog for you, and I know you will cherish and support him through his aging. Prayers and hugs for you and Trapp to have many more wonderful years together. :hugs

KarenCurtis, RikyR, Hanne and 3 others like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    As usual, Sharon said it perfectly... I second her words!
    “Trapp sounds like he has been a wonderful companion and heart dog for you, and I know you will cherish and support him through his aging. Prayers and hugs for you and Trapp to have many more wonderful years together.”

Our little rescue Jasmine had CHF and did well on medication. She was deaf and loosing her site and on diabetic injections as well. Good luck and keep us posted!

KarenCurtis and Ann like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Hi Michelle, good to see you here. I can’t add anything to Sharon and Gloria’s excellent points about the wonders the meds can do but will send prayers that they work for your boy too.

KarenCurtis, Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Daisy1015

Daisy1015 Premium Member

May 2, 2014
    Oh I am so sorry to hear this.
    To give you some hope, my parents had adopted a mini schnauzer of questionable breeding. She had chf at a young age (definitely by middle age) and on meds she lived a full life. It didn’t shorten her life at all. Lived to be 14 plus

KarenCurtis, Sharon7 and Hanne like this.
  6. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    Thank you all, I’m glad I posted and wandered through. It has been ages for sure. ‘I read thru the post on Sheltie angels, I’m so sorry to read about some that have passed,my condolences. I’ll update later today on what my vet says

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Hoping for basically good news today from your vet. We have had a couple of dogs with CHF and both went on to have 2-3+ good years with meds. Praying for the same for your heart boy. Trini

KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    :hugs

KarenCurtis likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Dear St. Francis, our friend Michele has told us that her beloved Trapp is feeling poorly. He needs your tender attention as his Mom seeks to know what the problem is and how to treat it. Please ask the Good Shepherd to look upon this little by and grant His healing grace. Be with Michele as she cares for this most special Sheltie.
    In His name we ask,
    Amen

Hanne, KarenCurtis and Sharon7 like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Hi Michelle! I remember you and your dogs. Sandstorm is 11 1/2 and has a heart murmer, his eyesight and hearing aren't good. We got him a puppy amost 2 years ago, he loves her and they play, but he has slowed down a lot. Good to see your post!!

Sharon7 likes this.