Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My Fallen Angel rescued

Discussion in 'Rescue Stories' started by BLeewillett, Mar 12, 2018 at 6:58 AM.

1. BLeewillett

BLeewillett Forums Novice

I am new to this site but wanted to share my story and possibly get some feedback. I contacted Spokane Sheltie Rescue to look for an older Sheltie that needed a home and that could be a companion for me through the loss of my partner from colon cancer on March 8th, 2018. I flew in and met with a girl & guy in their 20's or so that raise sheltie dogs. I arrived and they were outside cutting the hair on Faylen's feet. The poor dog was matted and had a nasty smell and when I arrived home I noticed the nails were so long and the dew claws were curled on the front paws. I was told she was shy and had been a show dog but didn't like it. Faylen is scared of all noises, stays in her kennel, will not come to go out, I pack her at this point. I signed a contract with this girl to care for her and keep up with shots, groom, all the basic care things that I would do but when I asked her for health records /rabie shots etc she denied the vet to give me any information. I was upset over the care of this poor sheltie and I let her know by state law she had to give the buyer records of this dogs shots and any healthcare she had. She started blowing my phone up and telling me if I had such a sour attitude to just bring her back. I stated absolutely not. I paid $400. for her and felt she needed to be turned in for such care. She stated she had been sick and I said well being sick is not an out for caring for your animal. Long story short I was so harassed and scared I would be stalked I told her not to worry about the shots records I would be going to the vet this Monday morning to have that Vet request the records. I am so saddened when I contacted the original owner on the AKC papers and found out this beautiful dog was a happy dog but had a door slam on its tail at a show and was too nervous after that to show. She had sold to this girl to breed for her new line of shelties but the girl I got her from said she had her spayed and never breed her but she couldn't give me any healthcare records. I don't have a problem signing a contract to groom, shelter, UTD shots, training, attention and anything else bcs I would do that anyway but I am dealing with a breeder that did not care for the older sheltie and has actually caused more mental harm to her but expects me to adhere to her contract and she can't even do her own contract. I told her I bought Faylen but that doesn't mean I have to be friends with you! I am wanting to help this fallen angel and I think with love and kindness she will come around. Any suggestions on working with an abused dog? Thanks...
  2. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    I am sure some in this wonderful forum will help you -My English is unfortunately useless :wink2:
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Search for Woodbender's threads on his rescue Clare, for a tutorial on shy, scared and/or shut down Shelties. There have been members who have really worked miracles with mistreated Shelties and helped them to be more at ease in the world. It will take you lots of patience and time. Don't rush her or force her into new situations. Let her acclimate to you and your home first. Her crate is her safe spot for now. Let her see that only good things come from your hands and your presence. Shelties are incredibly sensitive dogs.

You said you contacted a Sheltie rescue, but this dog is from a young couple who breeds? I guess I'm a little confused. In any case, she was obviously in a state of neglect, so I don't think you owe THEM anything more than the money you gave them, but I'm glad to hear you have Faylen's best interest at heart. :yes:
    Ann likes this.
  4. BLeewillett

BLeewillett Forums Novice

Thank you for that info. I had contacted Spokane Sheltie Rescue and they didnt have any Sheltie's at the time when I was looking for an older dog for companionship, then I guess this young couple called and was wanting to re-home their sheltie due to they couldnt show her anymore due to the behavior/frightened/shy/scared etc. I am blessed to have her and it gives me a companion to love and be a part of my life after losing my partner to colon cancer,
  5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Welcome to the Forum! I'm so sorry for your loss. You and Faylen have both been through a very tough time. It sounds like you need each other. As Sharon said, there are many threads here with advice for helping Shelties who come from these types of situations, so you can get lots of good ideas. The most important thing is to give her time, patience and love. She needs to learn to trust again. She will, and when she does, you will have a bond for life. Bless you for taking her away from that situation. Please keep us posted on how it goes and feel free to ask any questions you might have as they come up.