Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My new non-Sheltie boy named Panda.

Discussion in 'General Dog Chat' started by trini, Jan 13, 2020.

1. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    We have had to say good-bye to so many rescued seniors who came to us with limited time...and each good-bye takes a huge emotional toll even when you know you gave them a loving home for maybe the first time in their lives for whatever time they had left. I will in time take in more hospice rescues because I know how desperately these special gentle souls need to experience love and safety in their final weeks/months...and I love them dearly. But we decided a few months ago that we needed to have one little soul who had a full life to look forward to...so in came our Panda. His coloring mandated that he either be "Panda' or "Skunk" and we thought that the neighbors might get concerned if they heard us routinely calling "Skunk" to come in the house! Panda is an over sized (now weighing 12 pounds) black and white Pommie puppy who can find trouble to get into 24/7. Initially the only one of our doggies who would even remotely tolerate him was our little 7 year old rescue Yorkie lass, Miley. Everyone else wanted him GONE IMMEDIATELY. Slowly Panda is finding his place among the pack and our "biggie" 8 year old blue merle Sheltie gal, Faelee, has become his best buddy and play pal. They do zoomies by the hour around the yard and little Panda is almost able to catch up with Faelee even with his so much shorter legs...he is a speed demon...along with an everything else demon! Curtains are tug toys in Panda's book...towel paper rates a 10 for fun...window sills and door jams are yummy and digging holes in the yard is the icing on life's cake. So much for peace in our house.

Panda at 10 weeks old...when he weighted only 4 pounds. Trini IMG_1332.JPG

corbinam, sable, KarenCurtis and 11 others like this.
  2. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    What a sweet Pup! :)

Darren likes this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Trini, I know what a little stinker he is but oh my, that picture makes me smile! Too too cute. Little Panda is a very lucky boy to have landed at your house! Peace and quiet is over-rated! :lol:

Darren and ghggp like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh Trini, how I can relate to your post. Rescue is so fulfilling yet so heartbreaking when they have passed. Having three back to back I felt the same way. I needed a young pup to compensate my heartache. In came Liam. He has been more of a challenge than any of my rescues. With your help, he is thriving. He still has a ways to go.

I have to say, PANDA is BEYOND adorable. You have to post a video! I can just imagine those little feet running like crazy... what an image that painted in my mind.

Darren, Hanne and Sharon7 like this.
  5. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Trini, I was mighty glad to see your post! I can well understand how the hospice care takes a toll. We had the anniversary of Brooke's diagnosis a few days ago and it made me sad again. I am so happy you have gotten a new rascal in the family - obviously keeping everyone on their toes/paws! I have a soft spot for Poms myself.

If you like to read, I recommend "The Possibility Dogs" by Susannah Charleson. Besides doing search & rescue with her dog she rescues the needy, and lots of them are Poms. The stories she tells about them made me think "I need one of those!" :lol:

Congratulations on your super cute new family member, Panda. I'd love to hear stories about him. He's so dang adorable! (Good thing, too, it sounds like! I mean, did you really WANT a quiet life??)

ghggp and Darren like this.
  6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Panda is the perfect name for a black and white Pom. absolutely adorable:yes:

ghggp and Darren like this.
  7. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Thank-you all. Yes, he is very cute which is lucky for him or he might have been strangled by now! LOL His breeder said he was the most laid back, quiet puppy in the litter...he lied <G>. Panda is sweet and loves everyone he meets and is wonderful with even our youngest great grandchild who is only 8 months old...but laid back he is NOT...at least not by any understanding I have of the term "laid back". He is a total hellion! Thankfully he does bring laughs with his antics...just what we needed after so many recent loses in a short period of time. And sadly we are now facing another loss...our other little rescue Pommie boy, Dante (12 years old), was recently dx'd with liver cancer that has already spread to his spleen and his pancreas...prognosis is for only a few months of reasonable comfort time left. The only obvious symptom right now is that he tires very easily and sleeps most of the time.

Trini

ghggp, Ann and Darren like this.
  8. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Sharon7 likes this.
  9. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny

Sharon7 likes this.
  10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    have you checked with the breeder about the littermates? maybe he is the "laid back" one- it's all relative:winkgrin:

Darren and Sharon7 like this.