Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My puppy ate detachol!

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Shayla, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Shayla

Shayla Forums Novice

Feb 11, 2019
    Help all! I was removing glue mats from my sheltie's ears and my puppy swallowed a small mat covered in detachol. It was just a small ear mat, maybe 1/2 by 1/4". Has this ever happened to anyone? Thanks!

2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh no, poor you. Darn puppies are so quick

I've never had your specific problem, although many other things.
    Here's the safety guide https://www.vitalitymedical.com/pdf/detachol-msds.pdf. It looks like it should be ok. Just don't let her throw up and make sure she drinks enough to flush it through.

Personally I'd call the vet just to double check.

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    No kidding, puppies will eat anything, and lightning fast! I've never had this happen, but as Caro said, I think you're OK. Keep an eye on her and I would call your vet as a safeguard and ask for their advice.

When things like this happen, you can also call your local emergency vet. Depending on where you live, most areas have one and they're open 24/7, usually very good about answering questions like this. The ASPCA also has a poison control hotline for pets you can call any time. The number is 888-426-4435.

Caro likes this.
  4. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    Not naming any names, but some still do it when they are grown up!

Ann likes this.
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I would call your vet 1st. The poison control line charges for a phone consult....unless your dog ate weeds recently sprayed with Roundup. Then the fee is waived and paid for by the Roundup manufacturer. And by the way it is OK if they eat the sprayed weeds.....not that we had any experience with this . LOL.

6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Wow, that charge is new! Thanks for that info, Shelby's mom. I can't believe they're charging now.

If there's an emergency vet in your town, most of them will advise by phone for free if it's after hours, or tell you if they think the dog needs to come in. Your personal vet would be my first choice too, if they're available.

7. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    It was a few years ago when Shelby ate the sprayed weeds. When we called they needed our credit card before anything else. If I remember correctly the cost was about $60.00. But like I said that fee was waived and paid for by Round Up. I can imagine they probably get a lot of phone calls for this.

Ann likes this.