Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My Sheltie angel Harley

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by Darren, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Darren

Darren Forums Regular

Nov 1, 2019
    I just wanted to leave a little something fo Harley on here who I lost at 15yrs old.
    Harley was an amazing boy, he was my companion, my therapist, a babysitter for the children and my best friend. He loved his walks, food and laying outside with me while I worked on the car, he didn't care what we did as long as it was together.
    I went through a few dark years and I really couldn't have got to the otherside without him by my side. At his age I knew we wouldn't have long left together but it still came as a shock when after going off his food one morning the vet said he had aggressive cancer. I was told best case would be 2 to 4 weeks before I would have to make a decision. I'm sure Harley knew I wasn't ready as he fought and kept his quality of life for a further 24 weeks! Then one morning I could see in his face he was ready and it was time to let go. That day still breaks my heart and I struggle sometimes without him but adpoting my new little Sheltie has really helped focus my thoughts a little and I know he would have wanted me to help a dog in need.

Thank you so much for everything Harley, rest easy lil guy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49028770647/in/dateposted-public/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49028585946/in/dateposted-public/

KarenCurtis, Hanne, RikyR and 5 others like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    _Harley.jpg
    Oh, Darren,

What a heartbreaker... those pictures of Harley are just stunning... The picture with your daughter took my breath away... It makes me think of exactly the environment shelties originated in.

Harley had such a beautiful and sweet expression! You were blessed to have 15 years together.

Please consider using the Sheltie Nation Angels page for a memorial. https://sheltienation.com/angels-welcome

Thank you for sharing this touching tribute. You were truly blessed to have Harley.
    Isn't this just the essence of a sheltie, "he didn't care what we did as long as it was together"

Virtual hugs to you and your family. :hugs

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    KarenCurtis, Hanne, Darren and 3 others like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Harley sounds like a very special boy, and he was lucky to have lived a life with you. Sending you peace, comfort and hope that your new little companion helps fill the void and make you smile. :hugs

Darren, ghggp and Sandy in CT like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I am so very sorry for your loss Darren. Having just lost my oldest boy Riley on August 31 to cancer I understand what your going through. Even now, reading about other sweet Sheltie's passing brings tears to my eyes.
    I'm glad you've gotten another to help ease your pain...I have two others and while they'll never replace Riley they did help me get through the early days of the loss and they help me to keep busy now. RIP Harley!

Jams, Darren, ghggp and 2 others like this.
  5. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I don't think you ever get over the lost of a companion. I had a cat years ago who took me through some very dark times, she was always with me, shortly after I met my husband, we had to say good-bye to her. It broke my heart and I always felt she hung on until she knew I had someone. Each companion, pet soul-mate, leaves a hole in your heart but thank goodness our hearts always seem to be able to grow and expand and give/accept love again!

Your Harley was beautiful! And I hope your new little guy gives you as much comfort and pleasure.

Darren, ghggp and Sharon7 like this.
  6. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Darren, RikyR, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Lost my very special girl Brooke to cancer in May, so I feel your pain. What a blessing though to have had him for 15 years, and during a period you most needed him. Rest in peace darling Harley. And bless you Darren for opening up your heart to a new Sheltie.

Darren and ghggp like this.
  8. Darren

Darren Forums Regular

Nov 1, 2019
    Thank you so much, that picture is my favorite and has a little extra meaning as it was only a few days before he passed so was the last taken. He always felt at home there and used to love looking out to sea, I wonder if it was in his genes due to his origins.
    He was my first Sheltie and he has made such an impression that I could never move to another breed haha!

Thanks for the link, I will certainly leave a little tribute there.

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  9. Darren

Darren Forums Regular

Nov 1, 2019
    Thank you for that Ann, I appreciate it. Little Monty is certainly helping to fill that void a little.

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  10. Darren

Darren Forums Regular

Nov 1, 2019
    I'm so sorry to hear about Riley, Harley passed on the 22nd August so I really do understand how you you feel :hugs
    I know exactly what you mean, Monty just can't replace Harley but just having him here and looking after him helps focus my mind on other things a little. I'm sure in no time at all he will fill most of the void and we'll have a similar bond.

Piper's mom, Hanne and Sharon7 like this.