Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My sheltie is getting neuteredand I am worried

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Decibel123, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Decibel123

Decibel123 Forums Novice

Oct 4, 2017
    My sheltie is getting neutered at the end of the month I have just received a phone call from my vet warning me about something call Multi drug resistance who is supposedly very common in sheltie they are offering me to do an evaluation that cost $300 before the surgery has anyone ever heard about this disease and shelties

2. Cindy

Cindy Forums Enthusiast

MDR1 testing is definitely something you want to do...There are other threads on it, but wash state will so the testig

Go here and read more <http://vcpl.vetmed.wsu.edu/>

3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    I had Phoebe tested just for my peace of mind. It takes a while, ordering the swab, sending it and processing it, but it is a whole lot cheaper than $300.

4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Here in Canada there is also a lab that does it...you pay for it, then send the swab and then you send it back and it's only 75.00! 300.00 is definetly high.

5. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I use Gensol to test my dogs for MDR. A quick cheek swab, $40 and you have an answer. Be sure you read up on the various results though, they can be confusing. Typical results are Normal/Normal; Mutant/Normal; and Mutant/Mutant (the one you have to be concerned about). What it means in terms of surgery is that you should tell your vet what your dog's MDR is before surgery so they can adjust the anesthesia if needed.

Here's the link for Gensol. You can order the test online and they get results to you very quickly. https://www.gensoldx.com/product/multidrug-sensitivity-mdr1/

6. Decibel123

Decibel123 Forums Novice

Oct 4, 2017
    What’s the n’a,e of the lab in canada

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb

I think HealthGene Corp is the name and it's still just 75$ for the MDR1 test

8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I should've added Decibel that you can always postpone your boys appointment until you get the testing done...I didn't get Piper neutered until he was 2!

9. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I haven't tested my girls yet BUT I always tell the vet, no matter which vet they see in a multi-vet practice, that they have not been tested for the MDR1 mutation and to please proceed as if they are positive.