Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

My Sweet Sophie

Discussion in 'Sheltie Angels' started by PuppyLovin, Apr 8, 2018.

1. PuppyLovin

PuppyLovin Forums Regular

Feb 16, 2014
    Utah
    I haven't posted on here in a few years but I know how incredible this community is and I had to come back. Last year my Sophie was diagnosed with heart disease and has been on medication ever since. She over the last few months had started getting sick for a day or two at a time and her cough started to get worse. Yesterday morning she threw up 4 times in an hour and wouldn't eat anything. We took her to the vet and they gave her an anti-nausea shot and some prescriptions to help her feel better. Everyone thought it was just stress because she had been with a new sitter for a few days while we were on spring break. Throughout the day she started to get worse. she was lethargic, wouldn't eat or drink anything, couldn't stop coughing, and was beginning to breathe harder(we chalked it up to the dehydration. I was syringe feeding her water but she wouldn't take much). As is got later she was struggling to walk, her neck and body were stiff and she couldn't get comfortable. We called the urgent care vet and they were also concerned about her dehydration so we took her in. By the time we got there she could barely move. After new x rays were taken we found out that she had lung cancer that was never found before. It was too far along to do anything. She was on oxygen and was struggling. Our only options were to put her down or take her home but she wasn't going to survive the night.

She gained her wings just before 1 am. Walking out of that office without her was the hardest thing I have ever done, right after signing those papers.

I am broken. Sophie was the only dog I've ever had. I got her when I was 8 because I was having a hard time after we moved and she's been my best friend ever since. I don't know how to live without her.

I'll love you forever baby girl.
    11/23/04 - 4/08/18
    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4575/38126680194_6d88a20444_z.jpgIMG_1821

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2018
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am so sorry to read of your recent loss of dear Sophie.
    My heart goes out to you! You did the right thing by letting her go to Rainbow Bridge. Although traumatic for both of you it does help to know you were with her until she gained her wings. No love can be greater than that of letting go!
    She was a beautiful Sheltie!
    Prayers are with you and virtual hugs to someone who has gone through this sadness. Life is never the same! Those lovely memories with flood back and you will smile again... knowing her spirit will forever be with you. Kindest regards, Gloria

3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Rest in peace, dear Sophie.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Dear St. Francis, Yesterday you welcomed precious Sophie into the heavenly fields across Rainbow Bridge. We know you scooped her up and assured her that all would be well: no more pain, no more discomfort, just joy and lots of cookies. Please comfort her Mamma, who showed such love and strength as she let her go. Remind her that the pain fades as time goes by, leaving only happy memories. And please tell Sophie that to her, it will seem but the twinkling of an eye until they are reunited once more. In His name we ask, Amen

Hanne, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    I am so sorry for your loss I know how difficult this is. But try to remember all the joy and good times you had together. Hugs.

6. RikyR

RikyR Premium Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Baton Rouge LA
    So sorry for you loss.

7. Jams

Jams Premium Member

Sep 8, 2017
    I am so very sorry for the loss of your sweet Sophie. It is always heart wrenching to have to make those loving, but tough decisions for your pet.
    You mentioned that she was your only dog, and you two grew up together. That surely has made Sophie even more special to you. The two of you must have experienced many of life's ups and downs together through those years. How wonderful that you had each other!!​
    All that you gained and learned from having that type of companion will serve you well now. Those experiences with Sophie have helped shape the person you are now, a person well aware of the love, loyalty, dedication (and maybe a little "quirkiness") that a sheltie heart can give. So, of course, you will carry her with you always.
    Sending you hugs and more hugs.

Hanne, PuppyLovin and ghggp like this.
  8. furever keepsake

furever keepsake Forums Regular

Mar 1, 2018
    Quebec, Canada
    Sorry for your lost, courage and love to you.