Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nasty potty habit

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by jgarrett, Jun 10, 2021 at 9:24 AM.

1. jgarrett

jgarrett Forums Regular

May 19, 2021
    NE Georgia
    My 5 month old Dixie is progressing on her potty training BUT if you don't watch her (inside only) she will pick up her little "Tootsie Roll" and want to play with it!!!
    The fun part is trying to take it away from her!!!
    What can I do???

Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I don't know the answer to that - but make sure she doesn't start eating it because that is very hard to get stopped.............................

Ann, Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  3. DianeP

DianeP Premium Member

Sep 8, 2019
    Middleton, WI
    Oh, boy! Mindy gets very excited after she poops and runs around at me while I pick it up. Often will jump at the poop bag for a few seconds afterward. Hopefully, your kid will progress to pooping outside and you won’t have to worry about it. I wonder if Dixie thinks it’s some kind of a game inside depending on how you react. Is she waiting to see if you’re going to get excited about it?

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    My goal has always been to pick it up as soon as it comes out! Having three Shelties it is necessary! Sounds like a puppy thing to me that she will grow out of. Be sure you can always watch her go to get it before she does! Accidents will happen but once she sees you removing it… hopefully, she will understand to not try to get it herself! Try teaching the ‘Leave IT’ command! Might help if you are not close enough to stop her in time.

Ann, Piper's mom and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. jgarrett

jgarrett Forums Regular

May 19, 2021
    NE Georgia
    No when she poops outsides she does not do this.
    Also not every time inside, seems to be only when we do not see her poop. Almost impossible to watch her constantly...

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    At 5 months old I would keep her confined if you can't directly watch her. Every time she goes inside it's harder to get her to understand she's to go outside only. Crate or pen or baby gated in the room where you are. I know it's a pain and you want them to have freedom, but it's only temporary and you'll both be happier in the long run.

ghggp, Ann, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Yikes...I agree with Sharon, if you can’t watch her all the time 100% then you should be putting her in an ex pen. She’d get the idea of going outside faster. Set her up for success and faster learning by taking her out every time she’s released from the ex pen and setting up a routine.

ghggp, Ann and Sharon7 like this.
  8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I've seen this before, it's not that uncommon. I'd keep some treats on hand - give her a treat when she poops so that she doesn't even think about picking up the poop.

Piper's mom likes this.