Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

natural tick repellant

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by deewolflvr, Jun 9, 2010.

1. deewolflvr

deewolflvr Forums Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryville, MO
    i was wondering if anyone knew any natural ways to repeal ticks on shelties. living in nw missouri i have been pulling lots of ticks off bubbles and lulu and i am wanting to do something natural on them. lulu is a jack russel beagle mix so with the beagle in her i have to be careful about what i put on her. i dont know how shelties react ot chemicals either. so i want to be careful with both of them.

thanks alot

D and the girls.

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    If you look back through our threads on this topic you'll find a number of them on tick repellants and natural ones. I use Sergeants Natural Defense, which you can find online from a number of places like Cherrybrook. It works as well as any of them do, including the chemical ones, and is cheaper than most.

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Sergeant's Nature's Guardian. Smells like cloves. Works well unless you live in a super tick-infested forest (like I do).

4. Justicemom

Justicemom Forums Celebrity

Oct 2, 2009
    Minnesota
    JRT/Beagle! :smile2: My dear departed Jazz was a JRT/beagle. She was a rescue from a humane seizure in Missouri too. I never used anything on her for ticks . She never got them. 14 yrs,2 ticks only 1 attached. The other dogs would run with her and get ticks. It was weird. Guess they didn't like her.

The only ones I really know of have been mentioned already.

5. SheltieGuy

SheltieGuy Forums Enthusiast

Dec 27, 2009
    Schuylkill County, PA
  6. deewolflvr

deewolflvr Forums Regular

Apr 21, 2010
    Maryville, MO
    thanks, i will have to look into getting those. the vet has some drops for me for heartworm prevention to use instead of the heartguard because for some reason lulu refuses to eat them. and i refuse to shove them down her throat to eat them.

7. SheltieChe

SheltieChe Forums Sage

Jan 6, 2010
    Chicago
    I also use those herbal ones from Cherrybrook, under 15 lbs goes for every size of the dog...
    so far so good... I did one treatment with Frontline, but am reverting back to herbals..