Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Near disaster

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Nov 20, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I was taking Willow out to do her business in the dark and she raced ahead. Why did she do that? She did it because there was a skunk in the yard. Fortunately for all of us, especially a hospital gowned Willow fresh from surgery, she ran straight into the exercise pen we've been using to make sure she didn't get into any mischief during her recovery period, The skunk was on the other side of the pen's fence. They were no more than three feet apart. I yelled and the skunk ran off and Willow came back running and into the house. If Willow had got sprayed we would of had a very difficult clean up to do. Thank goodness this encounter didn't end in a smelly mess.

Margi, Calliesmom, Sharon7 and 4 others like this.
  2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Good grief, near disaster indeed! I can't imagine de-skunking a dog fresh out of surgery. It might be worth taking a flashlight out for a scope of the yard before you let her out at night. I have to do that here in case of any wandering wildlife. I'm so glad Willow avoided that visitor! :eek2:

3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, the yard will have to be scouted before Willow can come out.

4. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    Phew! Thank goodness you avoided that! River and I have had similar experiences as we have a skunk that sleeps under our deck. I think he actually has gotten to know us and gives us a pass because although River has barked at him, he gives him wide berth. Also I check the yard with a flash light, but skunks are not always quick to run off. For awhile this summer I was taking River out in the yard with a leash after dark. As a side note skunks are good for your garden, keeping mice away and also eating harmful insects. I try to live in harmony with them. So far none of my dogs have ever been skunked.

Calliesmom, Ann, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Oh good Lord! That could indeed have been a "stinkin' mess"! :lol:

Margi, Calliesmom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Ohhhh you are lucky!

Calliesmom, Piper's mom and GlennR like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :hide Stay away from those skunks Willow!!!

GlennR, Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    You definitely averted a near disaster there Glenn! Thank goodness the skunk left and didn't feel threatened!
    Years ago I was about to put my moms dog out but for some reason I turned the outside light on before letting the dog out and there was a skunk not 2 feet from the door! It quickly squeezed under a board in the fence (which we later filled in) and left but boy that was close! Our dog at the time would most definitely have gone after it!

GlennR and Calliesmom like this.
  9. TheDailyPainter

TheDailyPainter Forums Regular

Sep 19, 2019
    I forgot to say I have an African Grey Parrot who stays in a room near the back door. He often warns when I open the door for River to go out at night, "be careful of the skunks." He's heard me say this phrase all the way back to my last sheltie Loki.

10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Wouldn't it be lovely if our Shelties could live as long as an African Grey...