Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Near Tragedy

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by Ann, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Copied this post from Facebook. Another instance of Xylitol nearly killing a dog. Read the ingredients before giving anything! There is even xylitol in some peanut butters.

BEWARE PET OWNERS .....Please share so other owners are aware that the Benadryl allergy liquid gelcaps cannot be given to dogs!!!
    Please read!
    On Sunday night our dog Remi was bit or stung by something.. we sadly still don’t know what.. she was vomiting and had hives. We did like most pet owners and gave her Benadryl.. .sadly she quickly turned for the worst. 2:45 in the morning we rushed her to the emergency clinic in Mishawaka. When she arrived her pupils were nonresponsive and she was experiencing tremors. They quickly rushed her away and got her hooked up to IV and on meds. Her glucose level when we arrived was only 36 and her liver and kidneys were compromised.
    By 6 AM she had stabilized, but was not out of the woods. At 7:30 we had to transport her to another vet clinic. She spent the day there and was able to come home that eveninghttps://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/tf3/1.5/16/2764.pnghttps://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/tf3/1.5/16/2764.png
    She is now recovering well at home and we are so thankful we did not lose her..
    For three days I’ve been trying to figure out what went wrong and why she reacted to the Benadryl the way she did.. with the help of Dr. Brown from Fedore Vet Clinic we realized the liquid gelcaps Benadryl that I gave her had ingredients that are toxic to dogs. You’ve all heard that people say artificial sweeteners are bad and are fatal for them, well the Benadryl allergy liquid gelcaps have this in them....
    Please share so other owners are aware that the Benadryl allergy liquid gelcaps cannot be given to dogs!!!
    Please share.
    Xylitol
    A Common Artificial Sweetener Is Poisoning Dogs. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in everything from toothpaste to peanut butter to sugar-free gum. And, it turns out, it's poison for dogs. The FDA just dropped a new warning that, while it's just fine for people, the sweetener has proven fatal for dogs
    Found in gum, peanut butter, jams, pop AND Benadryl Gel Caps!!
    It's killing dogs but there is no warnings on labels.
    It's up to the dog community to spread the word

Darren, KarenCurtis and RikyR like this.
  2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    This scares the beejeezus out of me!

3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Apparently it’s in baby wipes now as well and who hasn’t bought baby wipes to clean doggy paws and such? Doubtful that it’s even listed on the label (it’s a humectant so keeps them moist)!
    Really have to be so vigilant now!
    Thanks for sharing this Ann!

4. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    :eek2: Holy cow. I know about Xylitol but had no idea it would be in a gel cap. Luckily we only have the benadryl tablets. Good grief. Glad that person's dog made it.

Thanks for the warning, Ann!

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Thanks for posting, Ann!
    I give Liam Benadryl for his allergies. ONLY the tablets!
    So scary to read something like this but so important to stay informed!

Darren, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    It's also in a LOT of yogurts, for anyone who feeds their dog yogurt. Important to look for "sugar" and not any kind of artificial sweetener on the ingredients list!

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    If it is so deadly to dogs, why on earth do they allow humans to ingest it?
    Makes you wonder what the long-term side effects there are for humans!

Darren, Piper's mom, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    Thank you for sharing. I would have never expected that.

9. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Same! Yes, thanks Ann!

I try to keep any artificial stuff out of the house. Things like Aspartame give me headaches. My mom was sooooo hooked on diet soda and sweet 'n' lo - always felt it was bad for her. You know the usual places Xylitol hides, but who would have thought to check Benadryl capsules and why do they need to be sweetened if you swallow them whole?

10. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Oh wow I didn't know any of this, that is so scary. Thanks for sharing Ann!

Sharon7, Ann and Piper's mom like this.