Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Need help with food for a dog with allergies

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by dogcatmom02, Dec 19, 2017.

1. dogcatmom02

dogcatmom02 Forums Regular

Apr 6, 2014
    york,pa
    We took Chandler to a holistic vet and had testing done for food allergies. The things that came back that he has to avoid is whitefish, cows milk and barley. The meat sources that he is not reactive to is lamb and beef. The foods that the recommended were ones by Evanger, Zignature, and Stella and Chewys. When researching, I saw Evangers had a recall earlier this year. Zignature seems to be the best one. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Zignature or any advice? I don't want to keep switching his food. Thank you!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I haven't used Zignature but have heard very good reviews from people I know who use it. Stella and Chewys is good as well, but I think Zignature is more widely used and cost effective. As long as it's a good quality food with limited ingredients you should be OK. What a good idea to have a holistic vet test Chandler! Let us know how your food switch goes.

3. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    we've used Zignature- they did fine on it. we try and switch different brands so we're not dependent on any one company.

4. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    We have used Zignature and had no issues at all. For some reason our pet store stopped carrying it so we had to switch. Otherwise I think we would still be feeding it.

5. The Quahog

The Quahog Forums Enthusiast

Dec 1, 2009
    Rhode island
    Professional curiosity - how do you test for food allergies? Traditional thinking is that neither the blood tests (RAST type) nor skin testing is reliable for food allergies, so the only way to make that determination is through trying an elimination diet. What sort of testing was done? I am not criticizing, I am curious. A way to test for food allergies would be of significant benefit.

6. SKNerissa

SKNerissa Forums Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2013
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    Tests for food allergies are unfortunately inaccurate. Your best option is to see a dermatology vet who can guide you through an elimination diet. The vet will have a specific hydrolized or novel protein food for you to use during that time and you won't be able to give any treats at first. Slowly you add foods in as per the vet to find out what your dog is allergic to. Any vet who tells you that a blood or skin test can diagnose your dog's allergies has not done thier due diligence in researching the test they are promoting. The dermatology vet will be more expensive at first but in the long run it will more than pay off as you will need significantly fewer appointments and will get your dog feeling better faster. If you are trying to go holistic, you can try to find a vet that uses Rayne Clinical Nutrition as they offer holistic whole food model wet and dry prescription diets. Every batch is independantly tested and doesn't leave the factory until the tests show the food is safe. As such, Rayne has never had a recall. Also, if you look on the websites of the foods you were told to consider you will see they have a disclaimer that their diets are not intended for diagnostic or therapeutic use. This is because they are not tested to make sure they are 100% safe for the condition(s) being diagnose or treated. Prescription diets are tested and proven to work and thus much safer. Food allergies can become life threatening in dogs if they are exposed to even trace amounts of the allergen on a regular basis so it is really is in your dog's best interest to find a good dermatologrmatoy vet and use a prescription diet. Best of luck!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017