Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Need help with food please

Discussion in 'BARF, Raw & Natural Diets' started by Sheltiemama, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Sheltiemama

Sheltiemama Forums Enthusiast

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    All 3 of my dogs are on prescription chow. Royal Canin. One is one select protein (venison) and the other 2 are on Satiety which is low fat.

Just bought 12 cans for $44 and a 7 lb bag for $28. I need something that will work that is less expensive.

Anyone?

Thanks!

2. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    I switched Maddie to a raw diet a few months ago, and I've found it to be very cost effective, and easy to do. Not to mention, she absolutely LOVES it. No wasted food ever. Here's what I do:

A couple of times a month, I buy ground meat on sale (usually turkey, because she likes turkey a lot, but other meats as well as frozen liver slices), and a big package of chicken on sale, usually chicken legs, sometimes thighs. I separate the chicken into packets of 3-4 pieces, freeze most, keep one in the fridge, along with one of the ground meat packages.

Once or twice a week, I make 'dog veggies', which is assorted veggies, a handful of frozen berries, a couple of eggs (with shells), some oil (usually olive), garlic, turmeric, and brewers yeast. I just put it all in the blender, and whirl it, then put it in a tupperware in the fridge, next to the ground meat and the chicken pieces. (edit: the reason I make the blenderized veggies is that I was spending a lot of time mincing stuff, and she would even then sometimes just eat all the meat and maybe 3/4 of the veggies. The blended mix is easy to stir into the ground meat, and she can't avoid her veggies that way:)

Here's the feeding schedule:

Morning: Portion of ground meat (about 1/4 lb for Maddie, ymmv), with a couple of tablespoons of 'dog veggies' stirred in. Put bowl on floor, watch food vanish.

Evening: A piece of raw chicken, given to her in the back yard. Stand at window, watch food vanish.

Occasionally, I'll mix it up and give her a piece of liver (chopped, in a bowl) for dinner. That's always a hit. Treats are rare, and are usually little bits of whatever I'm eating, sometimes she can have the 'cookies' offered everywhere I take her in my dog-friendly city..

Provide lots of fresh, clean water, and watch the dog thrive.
    And that's it! I've found it to be very cost effective (considering I was buying very high quality prepared food...which she sometimes would eat, sometimes refuse...now we never have that issue). It's also not really that time consuming. With 3 dogs, you'd have to buy slightly higher bulk amounts, but seriously - you might consider giving it a try.

3. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    Feeding actual food isn't that hard once you get into the habit or routine. For no other reason, at least you KNOW the food sources. There is less chance of contamination, or mystery ingredients that if not caught in time can do damage or kill your beloved furbaby. I find there is less evacuation than when I had them on kibble. And I prefer having to pick up less packages. It can be cost effective if you get to know butchers, get friendly with those at food co-ops, farmer's markets, or shop sales, or talk to people who hunt who don't mind sharing for compensation. There is lots of literature online, cookbooks and even some holistic Vets have free pamphlets on it. Think of dog food-kibble or dry as prepared food. Prepared food for humans is pricey, you can usually prepare better more nutritious food for less. Same with feeding your dog. It is about convenience, not necessarily nutrition in pet food. Dogs didn't eat kibble or canned dog food until recent yrs and look at the increase in health issues. It is a BIG factor in the equation.

4. Sheltiemama

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    I can do all that...except that I worry about the chicken and the pork that is grown here and shipped to China for processing.

But I don't see anything about vitamins and so forth that I'm assuming they need too.

Evan likes this.
  5. tesslynn

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    If you are feeding a balanced diet/quality food. My Vet said you don't have to supplement. I think it is personal choice, you will have people in both camps. Best indicators they are doing well is fur, coat appearance, nails, gums and skin condition.

6. Kaye

Kaye Forums Regular

Jan 31, 2016
    Portland, OR
    That's why I don't feed just meat - I include the 'dog veggies'. Her condition is stunning and robust, so I'm pretty sure she's getting the nutrition she needs. Some people do add supplements (you can order them from various places) but I don't use them.

7. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    When I switched to feeding raw in 2000, I followed what is now the traditional BARF diet. I still do pretty much! There are those that follow a prey model and feed no veggies, but I take the time to grind up a veggie recipe and mix it in with ground meat (beef, pork or turkey) and organs (liver usually). They get that for breakfast with a squirt of salmon oil and a dollop of coconut oil. Dinner is a bone meal--chicken piece or duck or turkey neck. Pork bones are too hard IMHO. Thats it. Easy Peasy.

8. tesslynn

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    My girls love veggies-especially green beans, carrots, cabbage. But their favorite is sea veggies which I sprinkle on their food. It has a strong pungent smell which they seem to enjoy. Shelties are prone to hypothyroidism, this is good for that. My goal is to have the nutrients come from the food itself.

9. Sheltiemama

Feb 15, 2012
    Indiana
    Good to know. Thanks to you all.

10. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    I feed Spirit a raw diet - here is the website. She adores it, her coat is beautiful, thick, and shiny, her teeth look great, and she has no health problems :) I order it a case at a time - 20 pounds -and it lasts about 10 weeks.

http://www.healthypetdiet.com/