Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Need opinion...anxiety or excitement?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by Piper's mom, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    This is one of the video's from Rally Excellent with Finnie. I want other's opinion as to whether this is anxiety . My obedience trainer says it's about respect...I say its anxiety. I know my dog...
    Oh by the way, I got in **** from the judge at the end lol...I made a big booboo lol. Loved this judge!

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, I am no expert. But my two cents is anxiety.
    Do you notice how many times he wags his tail to right always touching your legs as if for reassurance?

Al in all ... I think he did exceptionally WELL!!!
    My goodness... I would be in heaven if Liam did as well as Finnie did!

Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Wow! He is GOOD!!!! Thank you for sharing the video! Loved seeing this!

Is it maybe a bit of everything? Young age, excitement AND anxiety?

He is beautiful BTW!!!!

Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I'd say mostly anxiety- he seems very unsure of what to do......

I only heard the judge say something about you could have been NQd for that......
    He barked a lot and it didn't seem like it was excited barking- I've heard that........

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I see a combination of excitement and anxiousness to please.

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Could've been NQ'd for going on wrong side of finish sign...just knowing I have to go on with him stresses me out!

Calliesmom likes this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Thank you! Just imagine how good he'd be if it weren't for him being anxious/lacking confidence. Could be a bit of everything, however even just being in a new environment (took him with me to bank today) and he's shaking and barking. Won't allow anyone to pet him.
    I have a good plan for him though, I'm pretty much done with my trainer (she blows hot and cold)...she's really good but Finnie needs distractions that she can't provide. However there's a new training facility that offers lots of classes. They're going to allow us to sit in on classes (not working him, just feeding him treats) and they'll give me some confidence building exercises once they see what he can do.
    I think this will work out best for Finnie. Hopefully by spring he'll be ready to go back to a dog show.

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Great plan Lisa.
    Now I will not sign up for any class unless I sit in it first and watch the trainers and how they interact with other dogs in the class! I am sure the exposure will help him tremendously!

Calliesmom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Absolutely Gloria, plus they know who I am from the dog shows (they also teach handling classes and are professional handles among other things) so they know I know my stuff. I've leaned a lot from my trainer but I think it's time to cut the apron strings with her. I've never been good at that though, I stayed with my last hairdresser even though I didn't like how she cut my hair lol.
    I also think it would be good to get Piper into a different building for training, I think that's part of his problem (NQ'ing) and my trainer is incredibly rude to me at the shows...I swear, if I didn't go up to her to say him she would've ignored me.
    At this point it's about Finnie anyways, I want what's best for him.

Calliesmom likes this.
  10. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Could you go a little faster? Seems you are riding the brake and that is feeding his performance anxiety... ?

Calliesmom likes this.