Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Need your thoughts

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Brea, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Brea

Brea Forums Novice

Oct 30, 2018
    We have lived 27 precious years with a small female sheltie and, then, a rescued sheltie/collie mix. I sooooooo want another sheltie, but my husband doesn't want to get another due to our age - 69. He is afraid the little one might outlive us or we may become unable to physically take care of it. To have to give the dog up would be like a death in our family because, having no children, our animals become our kids. I'm willing to even take in an older rescued or rehomed sheltie, for I love this breed beyond words. Has anyone else dealt with this issue and, if so, what decision was made?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Brea,
    Your concern is very justified. I too could never live without a sheltie. That said, a rescue of an older sheltie is the only way to go at this point I fear.
    Many rescues are particularly sensitive to older folks rescuing younger dogs for the various reasons you sight in your post.

I know from personal experience that older shelties are the BEST! They certainly realize who rescues them and give love and devotion plus!
    good luck in your search...

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Brea, I can relate to your concern. My husband and I have six Shelties, ranging in age from 1 to 12 years old. I got my puppy last year when I turned 70. I still show my dogs in the conformation ring and do Rally. I have a good friend who still breeds at 80+. I do have grown children who both have dogs, but neither one has Shelties. You will find many breeders who are "up there" in age and will understand your plight. Many will offer to take the dog back if you are unable to care for it, and some will have older, retired show dogs that would be available to you.

My advice is to work with a good Sheltie breeder in your area. Look on the AKC or ASSA websites to find some if you don't know any. Both links have lists of breeders by state. Contact as many as you can. I think you'll be surprised at how many will work with you. And remember, 70 is the new 50! :wink2:

kazie, Jams, Sharon7 and 5 others like this.
  4. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Forums Enthusiast

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    What a wonderful post Ann! I have even thought of this- I'm only 61 but I too do don't want to live without dogs at an older age. This post gives many in this situation hope.

ghggp and Ann like this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    My very first sheltie was an older rescue girl. and then I ended up with 4:winkgrin:

Jams and ghggp like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    I’m 65, and I plan always to have Shelties. You just have to plan ahead for worst case scenario.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I am almost 62 and we just got a one year old. Hubby and I are fit and no health issues at this point, but we have a plan in place in case something should happen to us. I agree that you might go the route of an older rescue or retired show dog from a breeder. We got Brooke at 7 almost 8, and she has been with us 5 years and is doing great.

I would never want to be without a dog either but it is thoughtful of you both to think about the future. I just spent 2 days volunteering at Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Utah, and heard the story of a 90 year old couple buying a yearling horse at an auction!!! :eek2: Now they are 95 and can't care for her anymore, so she went to the sanctuary. Needless to say, those folks did NOT think ahead....:no:

kazie likes this.
  8. Bailey's Mom

Bailey's Mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Studies keep showing that having the care of a pet keeps seniors active and healthier. As several people have said the important thing is to have a plan in place should something happen and you can't take care of the dogs any longer. Honestly it is something we all should have in place, life can bring unwanted surprises. However, it is more predictable as you age that something could happen that would result in a dog needing to be rehomed. It shouldn't stop people from having pets, it just means they can't put off planning for the day when they can't keep the dogs. It isn't fair to the dogs or those left making arrangements when the owner is no longer able to do so for the animals. It is always best to have a plan that represents a safe haven for the dogs rather than a quick fix.

Sharon7, kazie and Jams like this.
  9. kazie

kazie Premium Member

Jul 30, 2018
    Utah
    I am 77 years old and just got a Sheltie puppy after not having had a dog for many years. I have had three other Shelties and many other dogs but Shelties are where my heart lives. My husband passed away a few years ago and while I have wonderful family and friends in my life, they could not fill the the void in my heart. After I got Luna, I was having a hard time expressing the change she has made in my life until my daughter-in-law said "She has opened your heart again." That is so true. I guess it's possible she will outlive me, but I know my children and grandchildren will love and care for her if I am not able to do it. Right now, I am lucky enough to be healthy and active, still skiing, riding my horses and exercising on a daily basis. Now that I have Luna, long walks and hikes when she is a little older will keep me in even better shape. She is a blessing and a joy and the best decision I've made in the past three years. Of course, as I said, Luna and I have a huge support system of family. I think the idea of a rescue Sheltie is a great one. Whatever you can give a rescue dog will be a gift and a much better life than it would have otherwise. There is no end to the joy you can give and the joy you will receive.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Bailey's Mom, Sharon7, Ann and 2 others like this.