Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nerve Wracking Wait

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by JacqueZ, Jun 1, 2018.

1. JacqueZ

JacqueZ Forums Enthusiast

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    There is little that is more nerve wracking then needing to wait to go to the vet when you can see something visibly wrong with your puppy!

I had a long day Wensday. I had the dogs out for the morning to run around before I had to leave to pick up my nieces for babysitting. Honey and Mango were wrestling on the deck when Honey suddenly yelped. I turned around and she was limping on her front left leg. I didn't think to much of it, she's a frequent ankle twister, so I settled her down in the doggy bed by the window and drove out to pick up the girls.

Got home and Honey's ankle looked like it had a marble lodged under the skin! :( She wasn't flinching or pulling away when I touched, squeezed or bent it (which I did check before leaving) but she still wouldn't walk on it.

Called the vet right away, but the earliest she could see me was 4:30, over six hours away. I spent all day fretting and it had to be the least fun time at my house ever for my nieces, although they were very good about sitting with Honey whenever I got up to grab something so she wouldn't follow me, and they were very amused whenever I would grab the doggy bed and slid it into whatever room we needed to be in.

By the end of the day I was about out of my skin worrying. :nailbiting: Honey had managed a few steps on the leg, but would quickly give up.

Which of course changed as soon as we got to the vet and tried to put her on the scale.

"Wait...I'm not just going to get carried around everywhere for a week? I have to go to the scary place and let people touch me? Abort! Abort! I can walk, see! walking, walking walking..."

Vet sent us home with a new bottle of Metacam, which from now on I am replacing as soon as it expires, and thinks it's either soft tissue damage or a very slight hairline fracture, all of which just needs rest. Honey as soon as she started walking on it a little started feeling better. Even before I got the anti-inflammatory into her she was happy to start walking again.

The swelling is going down after two days of medication, and she feels she's fine to resume all normal activities of course... :rolleyes:

ghggp likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Ooh dear, does sound like a greenstick fracture. No doubt on Metacam Honey thinks she is superdog. Good luck with keeping her quiet for 6 weeks.

I know what you mean about them suddenly becoming 'well' when they get to the vet. Deska is the worst for this. Then you end up looking like a crazy woman because there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the dog.

Jams, ghggp and JacqueZ like this.
  3. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    The biggest problem is her thinking she and Mango should wrestle, Mangos gotten the idea that I don't want her instigating pretty quick, but loses the thread quickly when honey play barks. And of course when I got back from walking Mango, Honey grabbed her leash and started pulling on it, "My turn now!" *Sigh*

ghggp likes this.
  4. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    I had cars that would make a liar out of me when I got to the mechanic, but never a dog! LOL

Chris, ghggp and JacqueZ like this.
  5. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    The vet likes to describe Honey as stoic, but then she's never seen Honey turn into a right brat as soon as a brush is touched to her fur, and she's never seen her dramatic side. "Ooooh whoa is me, I have tripped/gotten knocked while playing. whine, whimper, & wail!" Gets a kiss and hug, and immediately turns the energy back on and sprints away to play some more.

Margi likes this.
  6. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    I am glad she is OK.

Hollie was the biggest drama queen ever. You would just barely step on one little fur and she would scream and carry on like you just crushed her leg . But once she got al the attention and loving up she would be fine. She also made a liar of us numerous times at the vet. Whenever we would get to the vet she would be back to normal.

JacqueZ likes this.
  7. JacqueZ

Oct 4, 2012
    Akron, Ohio
    Honey has good company apparently. Perhaps they're aspiring thespians, we'll start the sheltie players, and put on sold out shows across the country!

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I am so glad nothing was seriously wrong! I too would be a basket case too!

Ok, we all need to a drama queen now and then!

JacqueZ likes this.
  9. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Layla does pre-emptive screaming if I even slightly step on her paw. She's figured out that anyone wlll jump away if she hollers -- clever girl!

So glad Honey is well and on her way to more Oscar-worthy performances! :pop

Caro, ghggp, JacqueZ and 1 other person like this.
  10. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    Glad to hear Honey is feeling better already! I doubt envy you having to keep her quiet though.

And how funny about these drama queens! Elise is the same way—I’ve never had a dog like that before! She trips and whines and cries and won’t put weight on her leg. The first time I was convinced it was broken and we rushed her to the vet. . Now I just put her in her crate and give her a bone and 30 seconds later she forgets all about her “injury”!

JacqueZ likes this.