Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nesco Dehydrator

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Piper's mom, Aug 9, 2020.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    I finally broke down and bought a new dehydrator. I managed to get a brand new Nesco 5 tray 600 watt dehydrator for $75 (1/2 price), my old one is also a Nesco but only 350 watts so I'm looking forward to having it dry food faster. The good thing about it is because they both use the same trays I can use the ones from my old one to expand it, you can use up to 12 trays (although I'm wondering if I'd have to rotate if I did that many). Those trays are expensive to buy, 37$ for 2!
    Only drawback is no timer but I'm going to plug it into a smart plug so I can turn it off.
    I go back to work in just over a week :sick: and the dogs are almost out of treats!
    This is the one I bought https://www.amazon.ca/Nesco-FD-75A-...qid=1597011687&sprefix=Dehydra,aps,526&sr=8-8
    Does anyone else have this one or something similar? Just wondering how fast it dries food.

ghggp and Margi like this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Envy! I would love a dehydrator but I can't justify the cost just for making Tully treats. So I just use a slow oven and over cook her fish. Della and the puppy eat anything.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    That's why I found this one on Facebook marketplace, it was harder to justify 148 + tax but $75.00 was much easier plus I wanted a Nesco so I could use some of my trays.
    Are things much more expensive in Australia Caro or do they make them there or ship them over? Things are about 40% more expensive here in Canada than in the US so anytime I can save I will.
    My last dehydrator I bought used off of kijiji for $35 so I got my money's worth.

I'm sure Tully doesn't mind that her fish is over cooked. She no doubt enjoys it just as much!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    ghggp likes this.
  4. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Exchange rate is shocking atm so it's not worth buying anything through Amazon atm.

Piper's mom likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Yes, everything in Amazon Canada is roughly double what it is on the Amazon.com site even though our dollar is at 0.74. But then Amazon (Canada) itself is typically more expensive than other sites. When I bought the blower from Rens pets it was almost $200 more on Amazon. You have to check prices or they'll rob you blind lol.

Caro and ghggp like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow! That is scary!

Piper's mom likes this.
  7. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    wow- talk about needing to comparison shop....................

Piper's mom likes this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    you are the dehydrator queen- I always check what you've done so no knowledge here.......
    I do kinda want to get one though........

Piper's mom likes this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    That's just typical here in Canada Gloria. That 'free' shipping with Amazon isn't totally free, we pay for it one way or another.

10. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    I picked this one up today (we met in a busy parking lot) and he would've guaranteed that it would work (no place to plug in lol) but not necessary because it works.
    I'm just amazed at how quiet it is..my other one I could hear it on another floor. This one sounds like a fan on low speed, super quiet! It came with 2 fruit roll trays and 2 fine mesh for drying herbs (I suppose I can dry my dill) but really its for the dogs lol. Only downside is no timer. The one I really liked was the Nesco Gardenmaster, that one had more watts and a timer but was 100 more. I really like the Nesco brand...I don't need an Excalibur dehydrator that's $500.
    I'm drying some chicken livers (yumm:sick:) and apples. I'm going to clean my freezer lol and see what else I can dry...I found a pork loin that has a bit of freezer burn on it;)! Dogs are gonna be eating good!