Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Neutering & coat thickness

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by aecarr10, Jul 11, 2019.

1. aecarr10

aecarr10 Forums Regular

Oct 15, 2011
    Ohio
    For some reason I've always been under the impression that Sheltie coats get both longer and thicker after neutering. That said, I was talking to someone who disagreed... and after some googling I'm wondering if this isn't just something I've imagined.

Has anyone had the experience of their dog's coat changing post-neuter? If so, what was the change you saw?

KarenCurtis likes this.
  2. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    This question often pops up and I'm yet to see the definitive answer.

I've had neutered and entire males and haven't noticed any difference in coats. Deska (neutered) was probably fuller than my previous intact males, but he was fed better!

I can see why spayed female fur gets thicker though, as they are not always dropping coat each heat cycle.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Eli was neutered at 13 months of age, his breeder said he'd carry a big coat, and he does. He is now a little over 2 years and has quite a thick coat.

KarenCurtis likes this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I thought fixing too early results in a sparse coat! I had Laddie neutered at 6 months and he never had a full coat. It was always sparse compared to my other rescues.
    I got him from a breeder and his parents all had full coats.

KarenCurtis and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    And then there's Finnie (unaltered) who at almost a year and a half still has a very sparse coat. The sire and dam both have full lush coats AND Piper is Finnie's uncle...Piper (done at 2 years) had a full coat at 10 months. I think it depends on the individual dog, has nothing to do with having fixed early. (For males anyway)

Caro, Sandy in CT and ghggp like this.
  6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    I probably have the longest thread here at SN just about sterilization and fur :ROFLMAO:

I was so much in doubt and was advised absolute not to do it
    from many Sheltie breeders and groomers here in my country
    precisely because of the coat:cry:
    Here SN members were very, very helpful :yes:

I got it done between 1 and 2 heat actually around her 1 year birthday :wink2:

I think she now has a somewhat stronger coat, but it is very beautiful
    but may require more fur care all year round as she only throws the whole coat every summer :biggrin2:

But I'm so glad I got it done, she is so balanced :smile2:

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oddly enough, Liam has a very sparse coat! I thought waiting for the big snip would help him develop a full coat! Both his parents have profuse costs! Go figure!

Finnie seems to have a beautiful full coat to me! Funny enough, next to Piper and Beau they look naked!

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I wanted to try to wait for 18 months before Liam gets done. Fingers crossed I can wait that long. I am hopeful that once he is fixed he will be less nervous and shy!

We are a work in progress!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Finnie has a full mane but his back and stomach are very sparse! Nothing compared to Piper at that age.
    Your right...next to Piper, Finnie is bare!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  10. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Ohio

Baron (avatar photo) wasn't neutered until he was six, and his coat definitely suffered afterward. Prior to being neutered he had a fantastic coat that was so thick that groomers charged me extra to do him. Afterward his undercoat lost a good bit of its thickness and the hair on his outer coat got softer and thinner so that you could see a bit of the lighter colored undercoat beneath, and it became more subject to tangles and mats. I only had him neutered because he starting having prostate problems, but in retrospect I wish I had tried treating the prostate issues some other way before resorting to neutering. The other thing I will note, and I think I said it somewhere else here recently, is that Baron only blew his coat once in his life, when he had just turned two, and that's when his coat changed from an average thickness medium colored sable with a normal texture outer coat to a really thick coated mahogany sable with a very coarse outer coat; so the color, texture, and thickness of his coat all changed after that one blowing of the coat.

I'm not going to have Devon neutered unless I absolutely have to, although his coat is only average at this point; but then again Baron's coat was only average at a year old as well, so maybe I'll get lucky a second time.