Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Neutering earlier than planned????

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by Sandy in CT, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Okay, so we had hoped to avoid neutering until 1 year of age. Brodie, in the last month, has started lifting his leg and just in say the last 2 weeks has started what I would consider heavier marking. In other words, he is not 'draining the tank' he is saving some for here, some for there. This is only in our yard though, he is not marking at all on walks. He normally does not go on walks as I take him out in our yard before heading out, but this morning, since he saved a bit instead of draining it all, he squatted in the street.

This week, he lifted his leg out on the deck. Thank heavens the slider was closed, but what a mess to try and clean urine out of that little track! He and Kooper were on our deck while I mowed the lawn just a bit ago (it is gated) and even though I had taken him out prior to starting to mow, I came back to 3 pee spots - two were on the slider and one on a planter. Kooper does not lift his leg, he squats and so I know for sure it was Brodie.

He has also started doing his version of humping a lot more often. He goes up to Kooper, doesn't actually mount him, but will stand to his side or behind him and do a bit of hip rocking. We tell him 'No' and he will stop, but it is becoming more and more common.

At what point should we consider neutering earlier than planned or is there a better way to address this stuff?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Actually, Liam is 1 year and 4 months. He does overmark where Beau and Baron go. He tried a couple of times to mount and a stern NO made him understand it was not allowed and has not done it since. He only marked 2x in the house and got reprimanded and has not done it again, thank goodness... So, I am dealing with a similar situation. I am trying to wait for 18 months so all the growth plates close. If you can hold off, I would. But, that is just me. If he was marking constantly in the house... YES, I would fix him sooner than later.

Someone did a great post that helped me to understand...
    https://www.puppyculture.com/new-appropriate-exercise.html

https://www.puppyculture.com/new-exercise-chart.html

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Hanne likes this.
  3. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I do get the growth plate thing which is why I wanted to wait at least a year, but am concerned with the humping and leg lifting on the deck. If the leg lifting comes inside - he will be snipped. I have 4 male animals; the 2 dogs and 2 cats, so don't want anyone to get the idea peeing inside is okay at all.

Thank you for your reply! You are lucky that Liam responded to your NO on humping - maybe I am not being stern enough.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    The current thinking for males is to wait to neuter until 18 months when, as you said, the growth plates are closed. That said, for years we neutered dogs at 6 months. That was the recommended protocol then. I did it; everyone did it. Rescues still do it! In the ideal situation, you want to wait as long as possible. But if behavioral issues creep in, I would have him neutered. It's harder to break those habits even after neutering. I've had visiting dogs in my house that mark. It's not fun. Just my opinion, for what it's worth!

Sandy in CT likes this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Humping another male isn't so much a sexual behaviour as it is trying to show dominance...Finnie try's that every now and then with Piper but a stern NO stops him quickly. Fortunately for us the marking seems to have stopped, he did mark 2 times in our class a week and a half ago but nothing this past week. If he's not marking in the house I wouldn't worry about it yet, but when you do catch him marking outside a very stern no might stop it from progressing.

Hanne likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Just so you know, Colonel Underpants is not neutered. He has only marked in the house once (seeing his first fresh Christmas tree :lol:). Oh, and poor guy, night before last, he got stuck upstairs behind the dog gate and had to use the guest room. He was mortified! He marks like crazy off leash, but on leash or when he's been told to heel, he's perfect. I don't know whether it's a matter of training (he was trained by three female Shelties who bossed him around fiercely!); or his nature.

Hanne likes this.
  7. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    Obviously Cooper at almost 6 months has none of these issues other than humping one particular stuff toy that we now keep in his laundry room kennel ,but I am interested for the future. I really appreciate everyone’s experience and advice. Thanks and good luck Sandy

8. mimiretz

mimiretz Premium Member

Oct 14, 2014
    denver
    We were going to wait until Oberon was a year. When he was six months he started marking whenever we left the house -- and I do mean everywhere! It became so bad I wouldn't take him with me to places because of it. We decided, with our vet's input (he had suggested waiting until a year) that it was better for Oberon to be neutered and still able to go places with me than not. He hasn't shown any negative effects of early neutering.

RikyR, Hanne and Ann like this.
  9. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    During Willow's heat she began her version of marking, but only outside. She would go frequently on our walks and walked while urinating to spread her scent around. She stopped it when her heat ended.

Sharon7 likes this.
  10. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Ugh! Lifted his leg in the house last night - on the door down to the basement. Hubby had taken his out and he has a camel bladder so no logical reason for it. Did not catch him doing it, I found it by walking in it and then saw it on the door so a dead give away to who did it. Couldn't really do much other than a calm 'no' and clean it up.