Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Never any fun when...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, May 23, 2019.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow has diarrhea this morning. I'm sure it's from the chewable tablet we got at the vet's yesterday to deal with fleas and ticks. It's a new treatment for us, we never had this stuff for the poodles.

Poor thing has already gone a dozen times. She's cheerful enough and enjoyed her walk and playtime in the backyard and she's drinking frequently at my urging. I have her crated as some drops oozed out onto the carpet. Not her fault as she didn't squat for it and didn't seem aware. I take her out every half hour for a short walk or a little yard play and give her a chance to drink, which she does.

I will withhold all food and treats until tomorrow. If she's still having issues I'll head into the vet and make sure there's no issue beyond a temporary inflammation.

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    :(
    poor girl.....lots of puppy bum cleaning.
    are we soft serve or watery consistency? watery always freaks me out, although no food always helps gavin

3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    It started firm, went to soft and then watery, then back to just soft. It's a challenge to pick up regardless.

I'm a sucker, I already caved in about my resolve to keep her crated. I let Willow convince me she'd be okay on the couch beside me, so that's where she is. Darn those puppy eyes anyway.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Poor little Willow! It certainly isn't any fun for pups or people. I hope she improves! You might try giving her some boiled white rice, with some shredded chicken or chicken baby food from the little jars or even just plain. My vet recommends boiling the rice in extra water and feeding that too. It hydrates them and the water helps to bind things up.

If you have any plain, canned pumpkin, that is wonderful for both runs and constipation. And of course she belongs on the couch with you! And extra pats too! :yes:

5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Just a warning.....rice diarrhea is nasty! canned pumpkin not as bad :) Plain canned pumpkin, not pie filling btw. I always have a can in the kitchen, as well as baby food. Haven't needed then since Gavin was a pup, but I know I wouldn't want to leave him if he was sick.. Glad she is drinking....

Chris and Sandy in CT like this.
  6. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Gosh fortunately I haven't had this kind of reaction to flea/tick meds. Do you mind sharing which one you gave? Does the literature state that's a possible side-effect? (Although it seems that warning comes with just about every single medication for anything.)

We are using a new-ish med called Credelio, recommended by my vet. Have not had any issues and it really works. I do limit the use to the summer months though, and use a different flea only med for the rest of the year. It is not a poison, it is a chitin-inhibitor, which does means the eggs don't hatch and the environmental load is low. They get the occasional flea still but I feel it's a lot safer for continual use.

Another thought - did you give all of them at once? You mentioned heartworm meds as well. Might be an idea to stagger them, say give one med on the first of the month and the other on the 15th - more of a pain but easier on their systems.

7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the suggestions. She gets the flea and tick tablet every three months. It's called Bravecto and diarrhea and vomiting and other symptoms are listed as side effects. The heartworm will be monthly and at the start of the month and this one, every three months at mid-month.

8. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Just moved on to side effect number two and she threw up part of her breakfast. That's probably just as well for her digestive tract. Unfortunately, she threw up from her seat on the couch onto the couch and rug. Sigh, quite the unpleasant cleanup. She's back in her crate but this time seems to have dozed off.

9. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I agree! Plus very little actual fibre in rice.... Canned pumpkin and chicken 50/50 is best.
    Piper used to get diarrhea the first two times he was on his heartworm med when he was a pup, would usually clear up within 6 hours. He hasn't had that problem since.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Sandy in CT likes this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    vomit not fun and scary....pepcid a/c can help calm tummy down.....one pill is good dosage....