Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Never any fun when...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, May 23, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    How's the patient this morning?

2. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow wasn't doing well this morning. I took her for a very short walk and she lagged behind me, going very slow, for all the world like an elderly dog. Normally she's full of life and wanting to surge ahead. After we had walked for five minutes or so, she squatted and squirted out a slimy, watery mess even though it had been over a day since she had anything to eat. She vomited when we got home.

That was enough for me so I called the vet and went in to get some pills to quell her diarrhea. I pilled her around 10:30 and then fed her a small amount of chicken mixed with white rice around 2:30. She was lively and happy to get fed and knocked her dish around for a while after cleaning it out.

Now I'm sitting with my fingers crossed hoping she'll keep this down and not have any more loose bowel movements. She has such a big personality that it's hard to watch her so diminished and unhappy. You can forget how vulnerable they are when you watch them zooming around the house.

Piper's mom, Sharon7 and Ann like this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    She will bounce back... Just keep checking her gums to make sure they are pink and she is staying hydrated...

Hanne likes this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    I'm sorry Willow is still not herself, Glenn. Just a word of caution. There have been many reports of problems in dogs who took Bravecto. The FDA has actually issued a warning against the main ingredient in flea and tick preventatives with the active ingredient in it, isoxazoline. I won't copy any links here, but Google it if you want to know more. Any time a dog of mine has a reaction like this to a preventative, I won't give it again. There are other flea/tick preventatives you can use. I don't mean to scare you, but it's not worth taking a chance with your precious Willow.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I so agree, Ann. I would be concerned to give this same medication again with this result.

Ann and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'd also stay away from something that lasts for 3 months...what do you do when you have a bad reaction like this and it's in their system for 3 months?
    I hope Willow is feeling better soon Glen!

Calliesmom and Ann like this.
  7. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    All good advice. I had already spoken to the vet about changing out the meds for next time and she agreed. Her dog had the same reaction to the flea/tick meds as Willow. However, the smaller the dog, the easier it is for dehydration to set in.

Willow is clearly happier now that she has had the anti-diarrhea tablet and she was keen to be in the lead on the evening walk when she was allowed to. She has had two small meals now with no vomiting or throwing up. We shall see what the future holds for her by tomorrow I'm sure.

8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I hesitated to write earlier but I was also of the mind that giving anything that lasts in their system for 3 months is just NOT something I would want to do. My Ally had seizures on Sentinel, which is supposed to be very safe. It was a monthly dose which I thought was bad enough. As Ann said, there are lots to chose from. I have used Credelio successfully with absolutely no reaction in any of my (then) 3.

I feel bad that poor Willow was down for that long. Sounds like she is on the uptick now though. Believe me, I know what you mean. When they are not well it just saddens your heart. Give Willow a pat from me and hopefully she is soon back to her mischievious ways.

9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    As much as I hate using the spot-ons, I learned the hard way with Lacey who had reactions to some of the most unexpected things, that it's far easier to wash something off after a bad reaction than it is to deal with something they've ingested. That has scared me away from the flea/tick meds that they have to swallow.

I am SO GLAD to hear that Willow is improving!! Give her a pat for me.

10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I think I'm going to follow your way going forward and use topicals. I don't want to put her through this again. She just did her business in the backyard but it was very soft. Her next dose of diarrhea medicine is in a couple of hours. Hopefully, that will see her through the night. She is behaving more like her old self but the stool consistency continues to worry me.

ghggp, Ann, Piper's mom and 1 other person like this.