Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Never judge a book by its cover... Never judge a sheltie by a sweet face!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ghggp, Mar 14, 2019 at 11:47 AM.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So, had to get more pea gravel delivered today to make up for what was lost over the fall and winter.
    Just as the truck pulled in I went out to tell them where to dump it. Unbeknownst to me, the boys had toppled the gate from the kitchen to the living room, Beau made a beeline to Smudgies special Science Diet KD cat food!

He ate about 1-1/2 cups! CLEANED THE BOWL! Called the vet immediately since I did not know if it could hurt him! They said NO, however, he might have an upset tummy! I gave him a couple of tablespoons of pumpkin!

Gezzz, what a snarf hound!
    Every morning when we come downstairs, Beau runs to the cat bowl to get a snout full of kitty food!
    You would think I starve the dog!

IMG_5536.jpeg

Caro, RikyR, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  2. SRW

SRW Premium Member

Jul 17, 2018
    Cat food has more calories than dog food, and as we all know the more calories in something the better it tastes. That's why Beau went for it. That's also why cats rarely touch dog food even if it's within their reach, because it doesn't taste as good as their own food. In general cat food shouldn't harm a dog, other than possibly making them fat if they get it every day as their regular food. However, there is some nutrient in cat food that cats need but isn't present in dog food, which is why a cat can't subsist indefinitely on dog food while a dog can live on cat food.

Devon will also go after Toro's food if he can get it. He once chewed through a bag of cat food I had mistakenly stored on the floor of the pantry.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Yep, all of mine go after cat food if they can get it - it is a higher fat content, so very yummy. That's why Mario has his very own room, gated off, with his food and litter box. Couldn't manage it otherwise! Hope Beau doesn't get a tummy ache from his "indescretion" !!

Any chance you can put Smudge's food out of reach? Elevated, maybe?

Piper's mom likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Beau, your a baddddd boy...and such a sweet face! Who knew lol.
    I'm quite certain that mine would clear out the fridge if given the opportunity, and with all the treats they get from me (and I'm sure a lot from my mom when I'm at work) they're definitely not starving but always want more!

I'm sure Beau doesn't regret his bad choice and would do it again even if he gets an upset tummy! Guess he won't get supper tonight lol.

Ann and Sandy in CT like this.
  5. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Clarabelle learned how to climb the cat tree to get to the cat food. We had to move the table because it went like this: Hop onto the chair, from there- tabletop, from there- short leap to the shelf, from there- just hop onto the shelf that has the glorious cat food.

RikyR, Margi and Sandy in CT like this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    That sweet face? Trouble? No way! Must have been someone else, mommie!!!

Our kitties do their business and have their food in our basement. My dad was kind enough to cut a hole in our solid wood basement door and install a kittie door for them when we bought the house 20 years ago. Dogs do not have access to the cats food but man, our orange cat Rusty goes bonkers for Merrick Buffalo dry! Has eaten through bags to get to it. Our oldest, the 19 year old skinny as a mouse old lady, will nudge Brodie away from his food to eat it. She has never liked dry cat food, but seems to enjoy puppy food!

7. GlennR

GlennR Forums Enthusiast

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    You can't trust Willow around food. If she can reach it, it's gone.

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    OMG - I thought I had it bad! NOT!

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :yuckyuck

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    WOW, Clarabelle is one determined and clever little sheltie!

MissyGallant likes this.