Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New Forum Member

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Rhea, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Rhea

Rhea Forums Novice

Nov 18, 2021
    Hello all! I'm a new member here and I can't wait to get to know all of you (and your dogs)!
    My name is Rhea, I'm a university student in western Canada, and I'm in the beginning stages of thinking about my first dog. I'm still several years out from being ready for a dog, but Shelties have made my possible breed list so I'm here to learn everything I can about them so I can make the best choices for myself and my future dog! (Miniature poodles are on the shortlist as well, but our friends over at PoodleForum are taking the reins on that front!)
    The main things that made me consider Shelties are their biddability, sensitivity, and intelligence! I've heard they're known to be vocal, which doesn't bother me as my current senior cat is very chatty. Their size seems ideal for me as well, since it's likely I'll be living in an apartment when I get my first dog. I'm prepared to offer a whole bunch of supervised outdoor time, training, and mental stimulation, so their high energy won't be a concern. My main reservation is that I've never owned a dog before, so grooming will have a learning curve, but since I'm starting WELL in advance, I have loads of time to brush up (haha) on my skills.
    It's still early days, so I'm honestly still getting a feel for the breed, and I'm excited to learn! I'll see you all around!

Darren, danisgoat, Hanne and 7 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    A warm welcome to you, and kudos for doing lots of research and pondering on what type of dog is right for you. I've had a mini-poodle as a child, she was a great dog, but we've had Shelties for 35 years now and I wouldn't change a thing. You will learn a lot here just by hanging out on the forums!

Darren, Hanne, trini and 1 other person like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Welcome to Sheltie Nation Rhea! I commend you for wanting to do the research before getting a dog! Too many rush out without even considering the breed characteristics.
    One thing I’ll mention is when you do decide and you go the purebred route look for a breeder who is willing to take the time to teach you the grooming side of things (much easier with a Sheltie than a poodle of course lol). With my first Sheltie puppy Piper (now 6) I learned much of what I know now from the breeder...she’s taught me so much. Just one more thing to think about, because as much as the breeder vettes you it’s also your job to vette them. Good luck and of course I’m rooting for the Shelties haha!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Darren, Hanne, trini and 2 others like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    welcome:smile2:
    good for you to learn what you can before gettting a dog:yes:

Darren, trini, Sharon7 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Whereabouts do you live Rhea...I’m in Manitoba.

6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    A big welcome to our Sheltie Nation family. Lots of good information here and it is great that you are doing your research well before actually getting a dog...wish all people did that. Shelties are a wonderful breed but like all breeds they are a really good fit for some people and not maybe the best choice for others...so you are going about your selection of breed in the right way.
    Trini

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Welcome, Rhea! You are so smart to carefully choose your breed, good for you! Obviously, we're all biased here, LOL, but I had a mini poodle as my first dog many years ago. Both smart breeds, quick learners and great pets...you can't go wrong with either. One of the big differences is coat. Poodles really need professional grooming and trimming, while Shelties can be done by their owners with a bit of practice. Shelties are a herding breed, so you'll want to give them a job or they will make one. This makes them great companions for dog sports though!

We'll look forward to following your journey and we're happy to give you any help we can!

8. Hanne

Hanne Forums Sage

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Welcome to you Rhea
    You are lucky that you have come to this amazing forum :yes:

I have had i.a. German Shepherds for many years
    but I am the first time Sheltie owner ❤️️

You just get my favorite link - to us new Sheltie owners
    so we may better understand this little sensitive breed.
    http://sheltieforums.com/threads/are-shelties-for-everyone.22964/

Piper's mom, Darren and Sharon7 like this.
  9. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Hello and welcome l!!!

Piper's mom, Darren and Ron Atkinson like this.
  10. Darren

Darren Premium Member

Nov 1, 2019
    Hello an welcome to the forum Rhea! You'll find everything you need to know about Shelties here so happy searching and we look forward to getting to know you.