Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New groomer took clippers to Sheltie’s coat

Discussion in 'Grooming' started by Jenn, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Jenn

Jenn Forums Novice

Nov 28, 2017
    Apparently a new groomer bought out my old groomer’s salon. I took my Sheltie there today for his regular cut and was surprised to see she had taken clippers to his coat. Now I’m worried his double coat might be ruined... I would say his current coat length is roughly 1.5”-1.75”. Can anyone advise as to whether or not his coat will grow back normally based off of that information?

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I have never encountered that severe cut on my slelties but I know others who have.
    My thoughts are that yes, it will grow back but take a very long time to do so. Many rescue groups find terribly matted Sheltie's and have to shave their coats.

Hopefully, you will NEVER go back to that groomer as they have no clue how to properly groom Shelties!

Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Piper's mom likes this.
  3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    Bitsy Boodle used to get a "puppy clip" in the summer because she suffered horribly in the heat. By Thanksgiving, her coat was lush once more. It's hair -- it grows. (But I'd find another groomer.)

jaleely likes this.
  4. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Yes, I'm sure the coat will grow fine over ½-1 year