Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New harness

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by GlennR, Jul 3, 2020.

1. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    We have been using a pullover style of harness since Willow was little. She grew out of her first. Still, she had become reluctant even with the new, larger harness. She would walk away when we picked it up.

I shopped around and found a simple step-through harness.

This one:
    https://www.petsmart.ca/dog/collars...reflective-dog-harness-55320.html?cgid=100221

Now she comes straight over to get her harness on when we pick it up. That's so nice to see, I should have changed it sooner, she told me clearly enough that she did not like the other style at all. Dense human...

Piper's mom, Darren, Sharon7 and 2 others like this.
  2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    the step in is the style that we have. hooking above the back is awesome to not catch sheltie fur. My first sheltie came with a harness but it buckled on her lower side and fur was always getting caught in it. one summer day when the power went out and we had no AC, I decided to take the dogs for a ride and we ended up at the pet store. their AC was working and we tried on several harnesses and when I found that one, that's the only style that we've bought since. we had an AKC brand leather type, Martha Stewart colored ones and some other brand that I don't remember off the top of my head.

Piper's mom, Darren and GlennR like this.
  3. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, the pull-over one we had also buckled well down her side and the strap had to be threaded through each time. I'm so much happier with the simple top of the back clip and so is Willow.

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I was amazed how much easier it is to put on and take off. some shelties even lift their paws to help out:winkgrin:

5. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Willow allows me to pick up both front paws together to drop her feet into the harness loops. Then it's lift and one click and done. The whole thing takes seconds. No fiddling, no caught fur, and no rubbing that I can see.

6. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I do that with Destin, sometimes with Dixie but the not the bigger boys. Cran is the one who lifts a paw to help out. so I keep the leash clipped to one of the D rings. that is the side that I put on first then I can hold the leash to keep the harness up on that side while I put the other foot through and clip at the top.

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    After fussing with a million different harnesses at the shelter where I volunteered I definitely picked a lightweight mesh step in harness for Meadow. She's outgrown it now though. I'm undecided on getting another one as she is doing well on the slip lead.

Glad Willow likes her new style better.

8. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Where are the pics of Willow modeling her new harness? Glad you found one you are both happy with!

I use a mesh harness for Brodie in the car, but pretty much use a slip lead 90% of the time now. Resort back to a 5 foot regular leash when we are at our rail training or for rally competition and his short walks with Kooper are sometimes done on a retractable leash.

Piper's mom, GlennR and Darren like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    These are great harnesses. They're the kind I have for my dogs too. Be aware though, the dog can back out of them, I've had it happen several times....once, in my vet's parking lot in a busy area which was really scary. They are not escape-proof.

Piper's mom, GlennR and Darren like this.
  10. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    Piper's mom, Ann and Calliesmom like this.