Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New here - fence question

Discussion in 'Other Equipment' started by Mirabella, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Mirabella

Mirabella Forums Regular

Mar 18, 2010
    South of the North Pole
    BarbV - I think you have given me the best solution - putting some 2x4s along the back fence. This is not my fence so I didn't want to put staples in it and could not figure out how to secure wire to it.

The bunnies I have seen in the yard tend to run out of the side fencing which is secure so hopefully this won't be a big problem.

I just had my deck replaced and I could have used those boards but I will just call the company and see if I can pick up some boards from another deck they are replacing. Nothing like free lumber!

I have no clue what Shelties will do. I have had two labs and they were always too big to go under a fence. But one did dig quite a lot so am glad to hear that Shelties are not into that.

Thanks!!
    Norma

2. mbfrench

mbfrench Forums Celebrity

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Oh..to funny!

Well Trapp was a poop eater to..yuck! But he got past it,finally and steers clear now.Had a poop eating thing with Jasper to,but we got stuff from the vet.I was'nt going thru it with him.Dang thats gross!

3. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Ummmm! What does it do exactly?

4. mbfrench

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Well my thought is,no dog usually will sleep or want to be in a place that has been soiled or dirty.(urine,poo),so they would not want to be digging were there is poo.

Now I'm not saying they may not start in another spot,but with us keeping in check of the holes,we filled them in as soon as they appeared.

They finally get the hint.And eventually get bored with the whole situation,because they know there is something nasty there.

5. mbfrench

Aug 2, 2009
    South Carolina
    Never say never! I could take pictures of our fence line right now,in areas that an 82 pd.chocolate lab..squeezed under.It can be done,and they will dig until they fit.

2x4's and cinder blocks are still blocking those areas on the other side of the fence.One of the biggest mistakes we made,trying to deter Kasey (lab),was we put barriers on the side of the fence..she had access to.

Well we finally got our stuff together,and started blocking the back side of the fence. They will dig just for the sake of knowing they can move an object.Whether it be bricks,2x4's,cement.

6. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

I think you need to watch to see if your pup is a digger or not.

Clearly, if they are diggers (which would not be the norm for Shelties, compared to other breeds), then putting up temporary blocks is not an option.

However, if not a digger, then temporary barracades until he grows big enough to not crawl under, is still viable.