Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New puppy... maybe

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by Watson's Mom, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Watson's Mom

Watson's Mom Premium Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Hi all-

It’s been forever and a day since I’ve posted in here!!

so the big news is that I am making arrangements to go meet (with a harness, leash, and name. Oh and check book ) a puppy that was co-bred by Watson’s breeder. She is a 10 week old Tri who they think is going to be oversize- around 17 inches is their guess.

I did a forum search for oversized and didn’t come up with any results.

How big were your oversized puppies when they were this young? Watson is right around 15 inches. Two inches doesn’t seem like much but I can’t picture just how big of a sheltie that would be. He weighs in at 20.2#. I’m thinking if she is around 17 she will probably be 25-28? Is there a formula for pounds per inch? Or a growth chart to see where she might land at her adult height? Or is sheltie height just too unpredictable?

KarenCurtis, ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    How exciting!!!

Here is a site with growth charts for height and weight if you have her numbers. I tracked Brodie from 8 weeks on and he stayed on the growth curve as noted. http://bowlingsite.mcf.com/Size/size.html

Need pics!

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  3. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Thanks! I don’t have her height and weight right now but I’m betting they probably used these charts.

She looks big in her picture but if it’s zoomed in and there is no reference. Everyone that meets Watson in person for the first time can’t believe how little he is after seeing his pictures. And he’s just about smack in the middle of the size range.

let me see if I can get her picture somehow.

KarenCurtis and Calliesmom like this.
  4. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
  5. Wendy C

Wendy C Premium Member

May 30, 2019
    Paris, Ontario CANADA
    What a beautiful pup.....I say this laughing at the “maybe”. :). Cooper is an oversized male obviously there is a difference in male and female weights. When we got him he was 8 pounds at 8 weeks, yesterday he was at the Vets for a wellness check up and he now weighs 27.6 pounds and stands at 19”. The Vet figures he will go anywhere from 30-35 pounds...fingers crossed for the 30! lol. :)

6. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    There is just something about that white blaze on her face that softens her expression. I love the bi blacks and at first never considered a tri. But now, as long as their personalities work, that’s all I care about.

I think my weight guesstimates might be close then if she tops out at 17”. I would think, though I guess I don’t really know, that the females might carry a little less weight per inch. But I suppose if they are both neutered that might not matter. 25-28 would be fine. If she was closer to 22-26 that would be even better.

As for the maybe— I have a matching set of a martingale, harness, and leash already on its way.
    :whistle::)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  7. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Huntsville,Al
    Weight carry vary Sca was stocky while some or fine boned. Legend has it he was under 16" and 29lbs. Reality is he was over 17" despite having an official measurement that was just under 16" for flyball (so we took it and hid him from all future measuring LOL). Spitfire is a small guy so everyone is huge next to him. Angus is a little over sized but still more than 2" on Spitfire. So is she home yet? Pictures of her and Watson?

Watson's Mom, KarenCurtis and Wendy C like this.
  8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    Jocu is my biblack- he's 16.75" and 28-29lbs. In that puppy pic, he's with Cranberry who's 17.75 and also 28-29lbs. Here's grown up Jocu

Congrats on the new addition- we'll need lots more pix:yes:

KarenCurtis and Wendy C like this.
  9. Watson's Mom

Mar 24, 2012
    Western New York
    Not home yet. I’m arranging our visit as we speak. :)

10. MissyGallant

MissyGallant Premium Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Sheridan, Indiana
    Uhm- you think that you can meet that face and leave it behind? Hey- I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Wanna buy? So, have you narrowed the list of names down yet? Oh my goodness- that is such a cute little face.

Calliesmom and Sandy in CT like this.