Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New puppy vaccination protocol

Discussion in 'Drugs & Medications' started by dream2012, Mar 15, 2016.

1. dream2012

dream2012 Forums Regular

Jun 27, 2015
    Coastal area
    I will be picking up my new puppy in the next few weeks. I would like to know which vaccines you have given your puppy and what age. I am leaning towards getting the parvo/distemper at 12 or 16 weeks, knowing the dog has some immunity from the mom. I am familiar with Dr. Dodd's recommendations and have titered my previous Shelties after receiving their puppy vaccines. They had immunity through their adult lives.

From much of what I read, to give the puppy shots at three-week intervals seems to be ineffective since the pups still have immunity from the mom.

I will not be giving the Coronavirus, adenovirus, bordetella or Lyme vaccine. Will be getting rabies since it it requires by law.

Also, has anyone had success with a natural flea and tick repellant? If so, please let me know!

Thanks!

2. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    For an unknown amount of time. That's the problem, and why the vaccines are spaced out. Maternal immunity could stop at 5 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, whenever. We have no way of measuring when maternal antibodies die off. You can not make any assumptions about that.

I give puppies vaccines at 9 weeks, 13 and 16/17 weeks. Then Rabies at like 22-24 weeks.

I don't do bordatella either, but I did just give the Lyme vaccine for the first time. The new Lyme vaccine is not the old Ft. Dodge killed vaccine that caused serious problems. It's a recombinant DNA vaccine, and the reaction rate is very low. My dog had no issues with it.

I don't use anything, but I have heard good things about Liquid Net for short term use (like hours kind of short term).

3. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Though I understand that the bordatella vaccine has limited efficacy, I will ALWAYS give it in the future. My friend's dog nearly died after getting bloat from swallowing so much air while coughing due to kennel cough. He pulled through after 3 days in intensive care. Even if the vaccine reduces the risk of kennel cough by 5%, that would be worth it to me. Just something to consider.

4. dream2012

dream2012 Forums Regular

Jun 27, 2015
    Coastal area
    Thanks, all!. Which puppy vaccines do you give? Thanks for the Lyme info. Might reconsider, but Lyme is easy to treat if diagnosed early.

I am planning to give distemper/parvo at 8, 12 and maybe 16 weeks, between dog food and vaccines, my head is spinning!

5. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    Well, Lyme may or may not be treatable, and the time line seems to have nothing to do with it. I've had two dogs get Lyme, both tested negative the next year. Neither were caught before joint lameness. My mother's dog has been on and off Doxy and other abx for several years. It depends more on the dog's immune system, I think.

I use the Distemper/Parvo mix, no lepto.