Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New puppy with interesting pattern

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Phoebe'smom, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    I recently got a sable merle puppy. Never having had a merle before I am very curious as to coat color. She is the usual peachy tan with sable patches and black on her tail and ear tips. So far I am finding very little gray. What is interesting about her though is her face. On one side, she looks like a sable, on the other the pattern is more like a tri in that her muzzle and cheek are white, above the eye is tan, and under the eye the tan loops around like the raccoon eyes of a tri. Even the whiskers on that side are white. Has anyone ever seen this before? I do know that her daddy was pure sable with no white on his face. Mom was a reddish sable merle and her parents were mahogany sable and reddish sable merle with some gray on his face. All three had white on their faces. Any guesses as to how this pattern came about?

2. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  3. Phoebe'smom

Phoebe'smom Premium Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Southern California
    Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. This is all so fascinating. What happened to all that red? Phoebe has the coloring of the lighter side of Cranberry's face. It is uniform except where it is wiped out with white. I can understand the merle effect on Cran's face, but on Phoebe did the merle turn her cheek white or is that an extension of white factoring?

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    I'd guess the white factoring as the merle has just lightened the brown areas to a greyish color. it was fascinating watching Cranberry grow up as he changed color practically daily but definitely weekly. I wish now that I had been more consistent in taking pictures on a regular basis to document the color changes.
    the red seemed to have all become the mahogany brown.

whatever Phoebe looks like now, be prepared for it to change:winkgrin:

5. Cleo2014

Cleo2014 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2015
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    My Cleo is a Sable merle. Her colors have already changed a lot since she was a pup. Here are some pictures for you to see.

Attached Files:

6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Our rescue boy, Dakota, is a sable merle. I have no idea what he looked like as a pup since he didn't come into rescue until he was 6+...but here is a pic I took of him just yesterday...

Attached Files:

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Callan is also a sable merle.

An interesting fact about sable merles is that they can go conformation if they retain brown eyes, if they go blue.....they are out of the running. I've never understood that. But those are the rules.

When I brought Callan home at 8 weeks, he had a lot more obvious merle colouring, but as he grew older, he lost most of the merle colours- except for his blue eyes, a bit of grey on the tips of his ears, and a little spot on this tail. He darkened up and now he more resembles a red sable. His coat on his back tends to curl a little, and recall at least one other sable merle that had the same curly coat "syndrome".....having a brain fart here. I want to say Callies Mom or was it Cranberry? I've not been active lately on the forum, so please excuse me.

http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=559&pictureid=6380

http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=590&pictureid=6635

http://www.pedigreelines.com/dog/show/name/weeacres-twentyone-gun-salute This is Callan's Dad....a tri

http://www.sheltieforums.com/album.php?albumid=559&pictureid=6353 Kendale Tiffany

The final picture is his mom with her litter....and you can more obviously see the obvious sable merle. His Dad was a tri.....

I don't pretend to understand genetics. But I too would have expected more merle markings with this breedline.

8. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL

It was Lahree's Ellie.....

merle is a random thing- just because a parent is a merle doesn't automatically mean any of the puppies will be merle.................

9. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

Just looked at your photos again.....the colours changed so dramatically as she got older. I did not notice so much mahogahany coming out in other pictures. I wonder if Callan will do the same....because he is still showing more red

10. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    yes Cranberry's colors changed a lot. I've realized that I need to take some more pix of him with full body shots since I haven't done that in a while:winkgrin: