Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New puppy with our 3 year old.

Discussion in 'Puppies 101' started by piper, May 21, 2020.

1. piper

piper Forums Novice

Nov 29, 2016
    We just lost our precious little girl on Easter. She was 12. Last week we brought a new puppy home. Holly our 3 year old is not aggressive however she outweighs the puppy by about 25 lbs. The puppy, Mika, will launch herself when she wants to play and sometimes the play turns into a chase. I’m so afraid that rough play is going to hurt Mika. Should they be kept from playing together until Mika gets bigger. Right now she is only 9 weeks old and about 8 lbs. I don’t think Holly would intentionally hurt her but I don’t want to take the chance.
    Any advice or past experiences greatly appreciated.

2. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Congratulations to your little Mika - such a cute name :yes:

I have only one Sheltie - but here are many who can advise you :wink2:

Darren and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Is Holly a Sheltie, or a human, I couldn't tell.

If Holly is an infant then she is too young to play rough games with a pup, they are pretty fragile.

If Holly is an adult sheltie, that's different. I've got 3 shelties -a 5mths, 7 years and a 13 years. They all play with the puppy, and after a few growls from my old girl the puppy has adopted a more gentler style of play with her.

Remember tho, you're the mum, so if you think it's too rough then feel free to step in. Puppies think they're invinsible, but I know quote a few puppies that got a broken limb because they weren't.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  4. piper

piper Forums Novice

Nov 29, 2016
    Holly is our adult sheltie. Thank you!

Darren, Piper's mom and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    When I'd gotten Piper (he's 5 now) I'd had a 7 year old Sheltie who weighed 38 pounds and 19" tall...he was big! I allowed them to play together in the house but outside I would not allow them to run. Piper loved to do zoomies and the two of them running like that scared me especially because once, while playing together Piper yelped and acted as if he'd hurt his leg. He was fine after a few minutes but that was it for me. By the time he was bigger (he was only about 5 pounds at 10 weeks so he was small for quite awhile) I allowed them to play. I now have a 2 1/2 year old (Finnie) and I also limited their play outside but not in the house. Piper and Finnie are absolutely best friends and love each other...I never worried that Piper (he was 3 when I got Finnie) would hurt Finnie in play.

Hanne, Darren, KarenCurtis and 2 others like this.
  6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks, thought I'd better just check though!

I think adult Shelties are pretty good at adapting their style for a puppy - the puppy is more likely to be the one without much self control. I've had to supervise play with other puppies more.

Here's a video of my 5mth old playing with the 7yr old and then my old girl. She lays down for my old girl.

7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sorry to hear you lost your sheltie at 12 years old. It must have been very hard. Getting a new puppy is sometimes the best therapy!
    I agree with supervised play at 9 weeks. Otherwise, you might set yourself up for heartache if the pup was hurt accidentally.

I got Liam as a 10-week old pup and my Beau is 5 and was super gentle with him. However, the play was always supervised.

Good luck! Send pictures and videos as time permits!

Hanne, Sandy in CT, Darren and 4 others like this.
  8. SheepOfBlue

SheepOfBlue Premium Member

Oct 15, 2009
    :ROFLMAO: I misread it I had a little kid and a puppy..... I would not concern about an adult Sheltie and puppy. The regulate well.

Darren likes this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    The video of Della and Kismet is exactly how Meadow plays with Faith and Elijah. Sometimes they will grab one of her legs though and I don't like that, as Caro said, they can end up with broken limbs or wrecked joints so I always supervise. But they tear around the house and yard together. Faith is 7 Eli is 3 and Meadow is just 4 months old. (But, she's ALL THAT!) :ROFLMAO:

10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    We need pics of Hollie!

Calliesmom and Darren like this.