Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New Research on Senior Health

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Ann, Jul 31, 2022.

1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    There's an excellent report available with the results of a study on the health of senior dogs, certain conditions and the breeds most at risk for them, as well as prevention and management. It's worth wading through. Senior Shelties are definied as 8 1/2 years old and top the list for the most at-risk breed for kidney disease.

Here is the link for the cover information and one for the report. This is Part 1; Part 2 will be published in the fall.

RikyR, KarenCurtis, ghggp and 3 others like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA

the sheltie story is on page 24 :)
    Looks like Gavin passed the Senior range at 11....Guess he is super super senior then at 16.5?

RikyR, Sharon7, Ann and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    Holy cow those stats for Shelties and kidney disease are SCARY! Our first Sheltie passed from CKD but she was 15. Ally had it as well as chronic pancreatitis. Faith had a kidney infection at age 5 and is also not drinking enough, vet said she had some chronic dehydration going, so we add water to her food and she gets "lunch water" which is 1/2 cup water with 2 crumbled up Charlie Bears in it. She will actually drink all that just to get the CB crumbs. So far, so good with her, it's been 2 years. She gets her 6 month labwork done on Tuesday.

Thanks for sharing this Ann!

Margi, RikyR, Piper's mom and 3 others like this.
  4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I thought it was good information too, Sharon. We worry so much about gallbladder that we don't think about things like this. I have three who've had kidney infections and we lost Ivy to kidney disease. My vet recommends testing the urine in senior Shelties to check it yearly...not a bad idea!

And what a great idea about the Charley Bears in the water!! I'm going to try that with Flurry who is struggling with bad diarrhea still after 5 days on Metronidazole and not drinking much. We've had to do sub Q fluids twice already. Thanks for the tip!!

5. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Okay,I have to ask what is a Charley Bear ?

RikyR, Sharon7, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It is a dog treat!

Heck, Beau will drink water if I drop a few kibbles in it! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

thanks for the info, Ann!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2022
  7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Here you go, Ron. They're doggie crack at my house! And low cal too. :biggrin2:

Sharon7, Piper's mom and Ron Atkinson like this.
  8. Ron Atkinson

Ron Atkinson Premium Member

Oct 5, 2019
    Sugarcreek, Ohio
    Thanks we will have to try those :)

Sharon7, Piper's mom and Ann like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    I've always gotten them at Trader Joes.....didn't know you could get them elsewhere

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Poor Flurry!

Ann, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.