Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

New to Rotating diets-any advice?

Discussion in 'Commercial Food' started by Lysette85, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Lysette85

Lysette85 Forums Enthusiast

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    I've never heard of rotating dog foods before (our version of rotating food growing up was my mom would buy whatever catfood was on sale for the week). I currently have both my puppies 13 weeks, 23 weeks on Orijen puppy. Should I be rotating their diets right now? I don't think Orijen has more than 1 puppy flavor. But the adult food include 6Fish, Regional Red, and a poultry&fish combination. I have been looking at Acana's line and they have more options for protein. So here are my questions:

1) At what age do you normally switch a sheltie to adult food?
    2) Should a puppy be on a rotating diet?
    3) What would you recommend for an adult rotation?

I was thinking of switching them every 2-3 months and going to another flavor of Orijen, and after they've tried all 3, going on to Acana and going through their line. What do you guys think?

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    First, I wait until they're one year to start adult food. I rotate within a line (Champion foods). I switch when Layla starts acting bored. Right now, we're on Acana Wild Prairie. We don't do the fishy flavors because Layla hates fish. The other three would eat sawdust.

3. ClantyreSheltie

ClantyreSheltie Forums Sage

Feb 24, 2010
    Baltimore
    I take them off puppy food at like 4 months. When I was feeding pure raw, there was no difference in diet between babies and older dogs. Now that I add in kibble, they still eat what the adults eat.

You can always buy puppy food of a different brand, or mix in some adult with what you have.

4. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    We put the puppies on adult food at 6 months and start feeding them twice rather than 3 times a day then. Shelties tend to gain weight easily and by then, they are ready for adult food. We also use a good all-around supplement like Vibrant Pets.

5. Lysette85

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    So, would it be okay to rotate every time a bag is empty? I was thinking of doing Orijen's 3 flavors, then to some Acana flavors, then Orijen again.

6. corbinam

corbinam Moderator

Oct 14, 2008
    I switch my dogs every time they finish a 5 lb bag. And between two of them, that's pretty frequently. They seem to do fine. I do a little bit of overlapping to get them used to the new food, but not as much time as I would a full blown new food transition.

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I don't rotate mine much, but that's because two of them are on specialty diets. I think it's fine if you want to do that, but I would be careful not to transition them all at once. Mix a bit of the old in with the new food and make the transition over the period of a week or so. That way you avoid gastric issues.

8. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    I'm not sure what you mean by rotating diets and what you are hoping to gain from rotating. I like to rotate myself but you do need to ask yourself why and how. I think using different flavours within the same line isn't really rotating, but it does at least add a little variety to a dog's diet.

My dog's get a broader selection of foods than most dogs. I like to do this because they like the variety and I know in humans its better to have variety because the metabolism becomes more adaptive. I have certain 'core' foods I give them - kibble in the morning and mince (usually roo) with a locally made premix in the evening. With kibble they get Eagle Pack as standard but we are always winning pkts of dry food at flyball so I often mix that into their EP. They may also get a bone or neck for breakfast instead. Several times a week they also get a different dinner, depending on what meat is available and I also keep tins of (the local) Nutro on hand for quick meals.

9. Lysette85

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    Ok, I usually buy a 10-15lb bag at a time so mine wouldn't be rotating quite as much.

10. Lysette85

Jun 20, 2011
    Ithaca, NY
    I have done some reading on this forum as well as other sites and have learned that it sometimes isn't a good idea to have your dog's source of protein be the same...and it's possible that it can eventually cause allergies (such as chicken allergies). I'd like to rotate them at least with the 6 fish for Orijen because of how good the protein and vitamins are in fish. And I also don't want them to get bored with their foods, either. I was considering rotating with Acana so most, if not all of the bases would be covered as far as nutrients and such. My dogs are still puppies (6months and 14 weeks) Should I not rotate them until they are on adult food?