Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

No news is good news?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Illnesses' started by Sandy in CT, May 5, 2021.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie's test came back negative for any tick born illnesses. So good news, but no diagnosis either.

I did not dose him with the anti-inflammatory last night or the Gabapentin as I was away from the house and even crated, I would not want to dose him with new stuff and then leave him alone. This morning he is bursting with energy - he hasn't been on a walk since Sunday, his swelling is down but not 100% gone, he's had no exercise so is busting to do something. He is using his paw more, I carried him out to do his business and he is using it but still a slight limp.

Good news on no sprain, no Lyme's but also no diagnosis so no reasons behind it to point to. We go back for a recheck next week. He is supposed to be on R & R for at least 2 weeks but out of agility for at least the next 6 (4 weeks left in session then a 2 week break). No walks, no stairs, no jumping (my pogo stick dog....), no frisbee, no play with Deacon or Kooper until doctor approved because they rough house so bad.

Piper's mom, KarenCurtis, Ann and 2 others like this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    It's such a pain to keep them quiet - I feel for you.. Really glad though that he doesn't have Lyme. Keeping Meadow quiet during her spay recovery was a huge challenge.

3. Margi

Margi Premium Member

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Glad its not Lyme. But he did something to it--swelling didn't come from nowhere. As someone dealing with the reoccurring injury syndrome, suck it up now and get him 100%. I let Fil do stuff too soon, and we both paid the price.

4. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm soo glad it isn't lyme! May just be a strain injury.

5. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    Sandy, that is good news on the negative Lyme test...but wish you could have been given a dx as to why that knee is swollen and painful at times. Hopefully with rest he will get back to 100% and not have any repeat bouts.

Trini

6. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie ended up limping again....

I left for the day on Monday to pick up our youngest at college. Got a call at 1:30 from hubby that he was limping. I think he was left in the kitchen area but with Deacon and Kooper and had access to the living room (I saw sofa pillows on the floor when I got home). I have not had him out of his kennel unless I was around to supervise, have kept the 3 dogs separated, have gated off access to stairs and furniture while I am home - crated if I can't keep an eye on him. Hubby crated him and Brodie remained so except to potty until his follow up on Wednesday. He hasn't limped since Monday. We are trying a daily dose of Meloxidyl, no walks, no excess activity, abs no access to Deacon or Kooper. Have another follow up next Wednesday. I guess maybe now I will be listened to about Brodie's restrictions! I know Brodie is miserable, he is bursting with energy, but he needs to heal and if a strain, needs 4 - 6 weeks of rest to recover and then rehab to build up. My poor boy!!!!

Caro, Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Poor Brodie! I can understand the frustration having been through that with Piper’s shoulder and then with Finnie’s hock. Both of them were long term crating (with Piper I used a soft crate during the day so he could be with someone) and they were both very depressed. You could consider a brace for his ankle for when he’s outside just to protect the joint from further injury (once the swelling goes down). Back on Track makes very good braces...that’s where I got the hock brace for Finnie.

Sandy in CT and Sharon7 like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Oh, no! Poor guy! It is so tough keeping them quiet having several. As we know, it only takes moving wrong to tweak a sore muscle to hurt again.
    I Hope Brodie feels better soon...

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Well he was.... BUT...

He was cleared for small walks on May 19th but we waited till the 24th which was almost 3 full weeks of rest and being carried in/out. He was taken off the Meloxidyl (hated it!!!!) and put on Chinese Meds (Corydalis/ Shao Yao Gan Cao) as needed. We only did around the circle of our road which is 1/3 mile. We did it one day, rested, rested the next day, then another small walk on Wednesday, rest, rest on Thursday, walk on Friday. No limping no issues seen. Gradually increased to 1/2 mile the next week doing the same, walk, day of rest and watching. We started allowing him to go up the stairs to our deck (5), but not down. All was good.

Until yesterday.... I opened his crate and he came out limping again.

We have an appt with Ann's acupuncturist / chiropractor but they cannot get us in until June 18th although I was put on a cancellation list for Monday at one location and the 11th at another location.

Has anyone every had a negative Lyme's test with their dog who then ended up actually having Lyme's? The vet did this special Lyme's test but I am wondering if I should have them re-run it or just see what the chiropractor says.

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate NY, USA
    It can take 4+ weeks after a tick bite for the body to produce the antibodies that indicate the dog is infected with Lyme or any of the tick borne diseases. If you think Brodie was bitten within that time frame it would be worth retesting. I am so sorry Brodie is limping again...it is really frustrating to not have a solid dx and know what to do for him.
    Trini