Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

No respect in the dog ring [Youtube Video]

Discussion in 'Handling Chat' started by PreciousSheltie, Jul 12, 2011.

1. PreciousSheltie

PreciousSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Fu4HgukFc

I was looking around youtube's pet and animal section, as I always do when I get the time... and found a link titled "No Respect". Now I don't know ANYTHING about showing and handling a dog or what it looks like in the ring.... But talk about bad ethics and the behaviour of this arrogrant man. From kicking his dog, to chasing and pushing the little girl... What's worse is that the judge awarded him as the winner when right from the start this little girl handled and showed her dog with a lot more skill and grace. What a horrific video.... I really just needed to share..

2. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Looks like it was the French nationals. I agree -- crowding, poor handling, and running up on the other dog's heels -- not sportsmanlike at all.

3. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    He didn't actually kick the dog. Dogs do respond to pressure and you might use a foot or a knee pushed out toward the dog to get them to back up.
    As for the rest of his showing, he just looks clueless. He doesn't appear to get how to show his dog properly, or proper ring etiquette.
    However, keep in mind this is a dog show and they are juding the dogs against the standard. It is not junior showmanship where the handler is actually judged. So yes, I can see why, even if the dog is presented by a clueless idiot, if the dog is the superior animal it is being put up.

4. tofu pup

tofu pup Moderator

Aug 28, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    You might do that, but it would be bottom-of-the-barrel level handling. I'm sure not impressed.

I don't think he's that clueless. Even if he is, there is no excuse for that kind of handling - he creates a danger to his dog and others and makes it difficult/impossible for the judge to evaluate the dogs appropriately. If he's that innocently clueless, then he has no place at all being in the ring.

In any case, the judge handled the situation abysmally. It is the judge's responsibility to run a fair, safe ring. It is the judge's responsibility to switch order of dogs, speak to a handler, or excuse a dog if the safety of the ring is being compromised. Period. Instead, he stood by and allowed this to happen, repeatedly.

However, again, the final judgement seems questionable, because the judge did nothing to ensure fairness and safety in his ring. It reflects very badly on the judge, regardless of the quality of the animal he put up.

Please know that this is absolutely not an AKC conformation ring. I've seen a few nasty tricks played, but this kind of unsportsmanlike (on the part of the handler) and unprofessional (on the part of the judge) behavior is miles below and beyond anything I've seen in the States.

(and if I had been that girl, I would have stopped and told that guy politely and firmly to step off, starting in the lineup - though I don't know if it would have done much good!)

5. PreciousSheltie

PreciousSheltie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 13, 2011
    Thanks so much for all that insight, like I said before I don't know how shows look like, but just from a HUMAN standpoint, that definitely looked very nasty and like poor sportsmanship. I too wondered why he was not 'disqualified' (if that is possible in these rings). Anyways, thanks for explaining it out for us!

6. Jaynie

Jaynie Forums Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas, Georgia
    The guy just looked like a rude or clueless handler. I tend to err on the side of his being plain old rude. Maybe he had issues begin in a class with a young girl and was trying to show off his superior skills.

That wouldn't have been tolerated at any AKC event I've ever been to. He at least needs someone to take him aside and let him know that his actions were bordering on disqualification next time it happens. Had I been the judge, I would have had a few words with him about fair showmanship.

7. BarbV

BarbV Forums Celebrity

On top of all the other comments....this guy needs a new suit! :razz:

Precious, thanks for sharing! What a great example of poor sports"person"ship. And it was obviously noted by the judges.

8. HopeShelties

HopeShelties Forums Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Then you haven't been around here. The level some of the 'pros' go to around here to run the new people off from showing is unbelievable....

9. Lightplum

Lightplum Forums Sage

Jan 4, 2009
    Rhode Island
    Wow that is pretty bad...the first time you enter my space I consider it a mistake, the second time you get told..had to do it last month to someone whos been showing for ages and should know better...They never did it again! :wink2:

But that video was something else..wow is all I can say...different country or not still should have some etiquette rules!

10. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Out of pure curiosity I clicked the link given and there is no video- a blank box that states "this video has been removed by the user".