Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Nosework ORT this Sunday!

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Sharon7, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, the inevitable is upon us, it's time for the Odor Recognition Test, otherwise known as "was all the money spent on these classes worth it??!!" :lol: Seriously, I think Eli will pass, and Faith should pass, she is very good, but my issue with her is recognizing when she is seriously signaling the "find". Sometimes she will linger at the box NEXT to the odor, and because she is so dang quick, she will change direction on a dime and end up tangled in the long leash. :pop It's really ME I'm worried about not doing well. :uhoh: Every time I line up at the start at class, my instructor smiles and says "Got your roller skates on?"

We don't really have a big drive to actually compete in the sport too much - it involves a lot of driving to these events, and then your dog must wait in a crate or car for their like 5 minute turn.... not sure that's how I want to spend my free time. It's not like agility where you can get out your Xpen, sit around with other people and their dogs, just have a relaxed good time. They advertise the sport as being good for reactive dogs, so that means stringent rules on keeping all dogs separate.

Fingers crossed....:fl

corbinam, Ann, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  2. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Wishing all goes well!

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Fingers and Paws crossed for a good showing!

Piper's mom and Sharon7 like this.
  4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
  5. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Good luck! It took me some time to finally learn to know when Shelby found odor. I have an amazing trainer who has taught us so much. Shelby now does stick with odor and I we clearly communicate very well when doing nose work.

Sharon7 and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Good Luck Sharon, I'm sure you guys'll do great! Those darn pre-show nerves...I know them well (and the day of and during event nerves lol)!
    We also have an obedience and Rally trial this weekend...if Finnie doesn't pee in the ring it'll be a good day:ROFLMAO:

7. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Good luck, Sharon, and have fun!! Sniff out those ribbons!

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Well, a mixed bag. Faith and Elijah got the first odor, Birch, without a problem. Faith did it in 6.44 seconds flat! :yes: I was elated after that run. Had to wait around a couple of hours for the next odor, Anise. Eli went first, did not get it. :(( Then Faith went, and alerted on the same (wrong) box Elijah had. If I had just waited an extra second, our instructor said she was ready to move on. She thought the fact Eli had lingered there had left enough scent that it interested Faith long enough for me to think "Bingo!".

Oh well. Still very happy they each got the first odor. It was a fun day with another friend there with her Collies, met some new nice folks, and our instructor came to video our runs for us, she is very nice.

We have a mock trial end of September, so we'll see after that. May stick to just the classes - the traveling and entry fees for the competitions can really add up and in retirement, that's a consideration. But overall a fun day.

Calliesmom, Ann and ghggp like this.
  9. Shelby's mom

Shelby's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jan 4, 2012
    pennsylvania
    Glad you had a good day and you got birch.

We only do classes too, it is fun for Shelby and myself. I just do not have the time to travel and do all the work involved.

Sharon7 and ghggp like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Glad you were able to have fun and meet more people interested in the sport!

I know what you mean... retirement funs are just not the same as your full time income. Gotta pick what works best for you! I know I have spent more on Liam than I thought I would need to.

Sharon7 likes this.