Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Not a good week...

Discussion in 'Sheltie Chat' started by ghggp, Apr 14, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well, last week was not one I want to repeat. Worked all week and it was extremely busy and stressful.
    I could handle that... BUT...

Beau started throwing up in the evening at around 1-2:00 am from Wed-Friday. It was like white foam. I had been giving him Pepcid AC 10mg since he had been throwing up during the night on and off for a month or so. The vet thought the Pepcid AC would help and it did help for about 2 weeks. On Friday, he threw up 4 more times during the night and also threw up all his breakfast!

I had already scheduled an appointment for Monday to see my regular vet as that was his first available opening to discuss his throwing up. However, now I am in full panic mode. Called the vets office and said he needs to see a vet immediately!

Ok, knowing several of my dogs had gall bladder and pancreatitis, my mind jumped to that! But Beau is only four! Luckily the vet office said to come in right away and it might take a while to get him seen but they would fit me in. Poor Beau looked just miserable. He is not drinking water again which still concerns me. I had been giving him a tablespoon of chicken broth and Figi water with his meals. But throwing up his breakfast really scared me.

Had to wait 2 hours. To my delight, my regular vet walked in my room! Normally, it is his day off but the other vet that was on staff had an appointment so he was filling in.

We discussed Beau's issues and we agreed a set of x-rays and a full blood panel was in order to help him.
    He palpated his tummy and he did not flinch in pain which he said was a good sign. He went for x-rays next. When they came back he showed them to me and was very concerned that his stomach and the tissues of the stomach were extremely inflamed and angry. He said Beau has Gastritis!

He gave Beau an injection of Cerenia and sent me home with four pills of it as well. He is also on Metronidazole for five days. He told me to feed him rice and boiled chicken which gave him terrible diarrhea. SO, he had me get some cans of ID Digestive Care. He seems to be tolerating the soft food.

On Saturday we got the results of the bloodwork and thank goodness ALL of the COMPLETE blood panels came back with normal ranges. I was extremely pleased and relieved to know that! I have absolutely no idea why this is happening to him. He is on great a new food (Nutro Ultra Small Breed Weight Management Dry Dog Food) that he loves and is tolerating it really well.

I am thankful it is nothing too serious... but, still gave me a real scare. Don't know if anyone here has experienced Gastritis before.

Beau still seems lethargic. At least he is not throwing up! Hope he feels better soon.

IMG_0382.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. GlennR

GlennR Premium Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    It's terrible when illness occurs as there's not much you can do to reassure the little ones. They are so stoic when sick it makes it hard to know what's wrong. I hope Beau has a speedy recovery.

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  3. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Western Connecticut
    Gloria, I'm so sorry to hear about Beau and hope he's on the road to recovery. I'm very glad you insisted on having him seen. Your quick action will help him recover faster I'm sure. I would imagine he'll be lethargic for a while after being so sick and possibly dehydrated too. Give him time to rest and recover. What a tough time for you and Beau! Sending pats to Beau and hugs to you.

ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Oh Gloria I'm so sorry Beau isn't feeling well! Perhaps he ate something outside that disagreed with his tummy.
    I'd forget about the rice and chicken and switch it to pumpkin and chicken (50/50 ratio) rice has very little soluble fibre and will do nothing for him. Also, give him some slippery elm (1/4 tsp for every 10 pounds of weight)...it not only will help the diarrhea but will also soothe his tummy.
    I hope he's feeling better soon!

ghggp, Sandy in CT and KarenCurtis like this.
  5. Margi

Margi Forums Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2012
    Corona, AZ
    Poor Beau! (and poor you!) I never heard of a dog getting gastritis before. Hopefully he's back to normal soon!

ghggp and KarenCurtis like this.
  6. KarenCurtis

KarenCurtis Premium Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Oh the poor guy!! He looks so cute laying there in his bed! So glad he will be okay!

ghggp likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    Gastritis literally means inflammation of the stomach...
    Usually used as a term when they don't know what is going on but obviously something is causing problems.

Gavin once had vomiting all night (he was maybe 4 months old) and it took heavy meds to calm his stomach down (Stronger than pepcid). Once we were able to stop it for a bit, it went away.

Beau does look exhausted,which is normal considering what he has been through. Hopefully you are through the worst of it.

ghggp and Caro like this.
  8. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    upstate ny
    Gloria, it is always so scary when one of our little ones suddenly gets sick. Good that you got him to your vet and know that he should be fine with a few days of special food. Did your vet do sub-q fluids for Beau? Hugs to Beau and I hope he gets his sparkle back soon.
    Trini

ghggp likes this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Ally had this once at a fairly young age, too. We thought it might have been from scavenging a moldy dried up plum from our tree, but we never knew for sure. Poor guy. And poor you, it just gets your adrenaline going when something like this happens, on top of a really busy week. Did your vet give you anything else for his tummy? How about sulcrafate - it actually coats the lining of the stomach to protect it. We got that for Brooke at last week when she was vomiting. What a relief his bloodwork was normal.

Hope he gets better quick - that sweet, soulful boy!!

ghggp likes this.
  10. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Gloria, you poor thing.

Chicken is actually one of the foods that has the highest rate of reaction so you may find he's sensitive to chicken. Both mine are sensitive to chicken. Deska I worked out when he was about 5yrs old, Tully I've only noticed it more recently. According to the IBD FB groups chicken is the number 1 problem ingredient.

Honestly, with that bad a response I'd be going onto a food trial and get this nipped in the bud. A single novel protein diet. And cut out any 'extra's you may give, such as supplements, chews and treats. After my experiences with my dogs, tummy problems like this are not something you should put off. If he's got a food sensitivity and it's not picked up early he'll develop full blown IBD. I know I sound like I'm paranoid but I just dont' want you to go through what I'm battling with Mr D and Tully.

Deska was getting 'gastritis' on and off since he was about the same age. Mostly in the form of runny or soft poops several times a year, which were put down to 'dietary indiscretions' by the vets. I wish I'd known then what I knew now about IBD. What I did work out though, was any food with chicken would slowly build up to an attack. Tully had the odd incident but it turns out she had IBD too!

The bloods are not going to tell you a lot if Beau has intestinal problems (Deska's bloods were always perfect). As sharon mentioned, I found Sucralfate the most effective stomach protectorant for Mr D.

ghggp and Sharon7 like this.