Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Not by my (more and more white?) chin!

Discussion in 'Sheltie Colors' started by Greenepony, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Greenepony

Greenepony Forums Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2012
    I've noticed recently that Olive's chin is whiter than it was a year ago and definitely more than in 2012 when we got her. We haven't seen her coloring changing elsewhere except a more pronounced sable undercoat (she certainly has a much thicker/longer coat.) We can only make guesses about her parents were like as far what's going on genetically. There isn't any kind of merle or roan expression elsewhere on her that I've noticed. Thoughts?
    https://flic.kr/p/qVAHeh

2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sorry I have no input on why Olive's chin is gaining more white.
    I just wanted to comment on Olive's obedience heal work!
    OUTSTANDING focus and heal position! :yes:

What a cutie she is. :lol:

3. Chris

Chris Premium Member

Feb 25, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    You may remember a few years back when Layla's ears turned white. She stayed Princess Snow Ears for two years; then, they faded back to sable, all but the very tips. No one had any idea why this happened. I just chalk it up to one more Sheltie miracle! :lol:

4. jomuir

jomuir Premium Member

May 10, 2011
    detroit
    No thoughts on her changing chinny hairs, but I do think she is very very cute. :yes:

5. k9kreationz

k9kreationz Premium Member

Oct 24, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I rarely notice my dog's changes in coat color, but it does happen. And from what I recall, it changed a lot from puppy to 3, then slowed down. I was wondering if it was age, but Olive is only 3! But then again, Koji's dad's face was white, like he was super old, but he wasn't that old.

Now I'm curious to see what it'll look like in a few more years. :smile2:

6. Greenepony

Jul 2, 2012
    Too bad it suffers a bit in class. She's fine if everyone else is mostly behaving but when the Italian Mastiff runs up her tail... not so much. (his owner doesn't pay attention to where she is going, especially in corners)

Thanks everyone- I'm used with dogs and horses getting whiter when they're up there in age but normally on the top of muzzle(dogs) or in an all over roan (horses) but this has me puzzled, especially at 3 or so. We'll see over the next while what's going on with her color. Who knows, maybe with this color change maybe she'll grow more of a coat too:fl

7. Greenepony

Jul 2, 2012
    So now she's getting longers white hairs along her spine, especially around her croup. I probably only noticed it today because it was actually kind of sunny on our run.
    https://flic.kr/p/rhXWQW

8. Jess041

Jess041 Forums Enthusiast

Feb 2, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    That is so weird. It almost looks like she dyed her hair a few months ago and now her roots (and her white hair) are showing.

9. tesslynn

tesslynn Forums Enthusiast

Mar 3, 2014
    idaho
    she was getting them highlighted on the sly

10. Greenepony

Jul 2, 2012
    She's always had that "overgrown roots" look, when we first got her I thought it was just a bizarre undercoat but no that's coming the normal color. But you're right is does like someone dyeing their grey hairs.:lol: