Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Not really 'obedience' related but is....

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Sandy in CT, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Forums Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Brodie and I are in level 2 obedience training, trying to get him passed on the AKC Canine Good Citizen test. We have 3 more weeks.
    Last week in class, the instructor brought out a clipboard which is used during the meet and greet portion of the test - they use crutches and a clipboard dropped behind the dog to see the reaction. He could care less about crutches, but that clipboard.....

In class last week, all 7 dogs were tested with a partner dog and handler in a meet and greet. Brodie was fine, but about dog #4 he started to freak over the clipboard drop. After dog 7, he actually acted like the center of the floor (she dropped at almost the same spot each time) was going to explode. During a practice with a weave in between other dogs and handlers, he was not concerned about the dogs or handlers, he was freaked out over the center of the training room floor. To date, I have not had an issue with heel or sit when I stop - until last night. He seemed nervous and I swear it was the center of that training room floor that had him agitated. Any suggestions of how to address?

Also, Brodie knows down. He will down to a verbal command or hand signal, especially quick if a treat is involved. He will down on our walks on streets. Get him into the training room and he will not down on command. He will eventually if a treat is involved. He has to do a down for his test in 3 weeks. Any suggestions on getting him to do a down on command regardless of location?

2. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    And I say not 'obedience' related as it IS obedience related but not at the level most of you are communicating about... :)

3. 2GoodDogs

2GoodDogs Forums Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    atlanta
    Ugh... lets break the bad association with that and find how far away from that spot you can get a sit or down and treat, pet, laugh or smile "gooddog!" Then move farther away, same thing, then closer, reward-treat-pet/praise - then further away, then closer again. the deal is, if he refuses to sit or down you've gone too close too soon, and wait for another day to try again. With enough success, cookies and praise, you should be able make that reaction to the spot/training floor disappear. Success will be when he will readily and eagerly down in the spot the clipboard was thrown. Don't hurry, more important to get the behavior you want in various distances first.

Caro likes this.
  4. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Sage

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I had a similar problem when Piper was 2 and in a training class. There was a drain in the floor (had a hard black plastic cover on it) and I swear if we went too close he'd veer as far away as he could lol.
    Good advice from 2good, hopefully you can get him over it (I never did but then we don't go there anymore).

5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    That's Tully! At 12 she still veers around drains, despite all my hard work. Not an issue at training (we train outdoors) but darn nuisance on a walk when I'd forget and she would suddenly veer onto the road!

I agree with 2GoodDogs. That bang sound is a bugger - quite a few dogs fail the Delta test because of that. Deska failed his first year because they banged 2 metal pots together. I'd just add to let him see a clip board first, sniff it and then see you drop it, then let him sniff it again so I doesn't think the sky is falling.

Piper's mom likes this.
  6. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    I asked her to work with us on the clipboard next week, we have just 2 classes left before the test in three weeks.

Any advise on down in class? I don't get it, he does down at home, just not when he needs to in class.

7. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    Ok, I have to laugh because all my class had trouble with their downs to the side this session, after I spent all the time getting solid stands! Down is the most vulnerable position and it's also the most boring because it's the rest position.

Are you having trouble with drops at your side or in front and it is a drop from stand or from sit? What's your hand signal like for down? At this stage I'd have a really firm, strong and easy to read hand signal, no wishy washy movements. Are you having problem getting into the down position all together, or is he popping up? Don't fiddle with your treats if you are still rewarding - downs should only be rewarded in the down position. If you don't have someone to watch you, try doing the drops in front of the mirror and see what Brodie is watching when you do your drop command. This might also let you see if he is really reading your commands and hand signal or is just guessing at home. And check if he is reading your hand signals - do your commands with just hand signals (no words) and then try words with no hands - check which works better.

Deska had the best downs I think because of the 'down' game - we'd walk along and then I'd say 'drop' at random times and when he dropped I'd cheer and get down on his level and have a play (while he was still in the drop). Also did random sits and when we started Rally I added in more random commands - he loved the game. But I can tell you this did not work for getting solid stand, not with a spinning, dancing Sheltie!

8. Sandy in CT

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Love your avatar Caro! Will pay attention today and get back to you....

ghggp and Caro like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Me TOO!!!

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    AKC Canine Good Citizen test is a bugger for Liam too...
    He does everything correctly except he will not allow anyone to touch him! Working on that before we try again.

It is always something!! :gaah